Crock Pot Red Velvet Cake ~ Easy, Delicious Cake Right in Your Slow Cooker! Topped with Cream Cheese Frosting!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Check out our online Home Decor & Clothing Boutique Drops of Sunshine!
Food is on all our minds this holiday season, so why not free up the oven with this slow cooker cake recipe! Using boxed ingredients, you will be rewarded with a soft, moist, and delicious cake (all the while allowing yourself to make that turkey in the oven with no worries!)
During the holidays stove and oven space become quite limited. I for one know my turkey will be taking up the majority of the oven room. I tend to make some recipes in advance (such as carrot dishes because they just taste better the next day anyway!) Then again, I have also come to really appreciate my slow cooker!
Today’s slow cooker cake recipe is all about convenience. You are making it in the slow cooker, which frees up the stove and oven. It takes about 3 hours cooking time to complete, allowing for you to make it in advance or have it ready just after dinner finishes. Though, if you plan to ice the cake, you probably want to allow for cool time so the frosting doesn’t melt.
I did go a step further with the recipe. Red velvet screams Christmas, but I didn’t just want a red velvet boxed cake. I decided to melt some white chocolate and coconut oil together to put in between the batter as it cooked. As the cake cooked, the white chocolate seeped into the cake, creating an even moister cake (because no one likes dry cake!) You can totally skip this part, but I thought it added nice flavour 🙂
And last but not least, it is all up to you how you decide to decorate the cake! I sliced my cake first in the slow cooker, removed it, and then decorated each individual piece with frosting. I think you would be good icing the cake in the slow cooker, but the cake probably will not cool super fast sitting in that residual heat. More control if you decorated each little piece (and don’t worry, I did nothing fancy here: just a spoon and some container frosting.)
Love this slow cooker cake recipe?! Try some of these recipes:
Slow Cooker Cake Recipe
Free up the oven and stove with this slow cooker cake recipe (which can be decorated however you see fit!)
- 1 (465 g) box red velvet cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- *Ingredients on the back of the box (eggs, oil, etc.)
- Cream cheese frosting (you can use canned or my homemade recipe )
- 1/2 lb white chocolate
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Follow the directions on your box cake container (if your cake calls for water, sub in milk instead.)
- Pour half the batter into a 6-quart slow cooker. Melt chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave until smooth. Pour over top of batter. Cover with remaining cake batter.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. If not using the melted chocolate centre, reduce cook time to 3 hours. Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the slow cooker. Slice and serve!
by Kacey Joanette