Lighter Creamy Mac & Cheese ~ Creamy homemade Mac & Cheese lightened up but stacked with cheesiness!
We are officialy on the 3rd day of 2014. How’s that resolution holding up? Did you make one?
I’m not big on the resolution situation. I’m not going to lie. Sure, I promise myself to get back on the bandwagon to eat a wee bit more healthy than I have the last week or so, but really that’s just a normal thing for me. I indulge a little more than I should and I have to reign myself back in and get control again.
Please tell me I’m not the only one like this? The problem is that I don’t like to eat food that tastes like it’s a little bit better for me than the full-fat version. I’m thinking you are nodding your head in agreement about right now!
That’s when we enter in the amazing Lightened Up Mac & Cheese. I’m still dreaming of it. Want to know why? It’s a bit lighter than the full fat version because it doesn’t have cream and uses chicken broth instead, but it’s still ooey, gooey and cheesy!
Plus it has garlic in it. And I’m saying you can taste the garlic. It’s not just some random ingredient. Is this scaring you off? Don’t let it! It’s pure amazingness! Just get a breath mint after you it it!
If you are trying to stay on the “healthier” eating bandwagon this New Year then this is the perfect dish for you. I promise you won’t even know you are eating better, my hubby sure didn’t!
Adapted from: Cooking Light
Looking for more lighter recipes?
Lightened Up Mac & Cheese
- 3 c. shell macaroni
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1/4 c. unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 8 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 oz 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 c. extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Cook pasta according to directions ommitting any salt and fat called for in directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat skillet over medium heat. Add canola oil to pan, swirling to coat pan. Add garlic to pan and cook about 3 minutes until garlic is fragrant, but do not brown garlic. Stir frequently. Stir in 1 c. chicken stock and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine the rest of the stock, milk and flour. Whisk until flour is dissolved. Add milk mixture to the garlic mixture in skillet. Stir with whisk and bring to a boil. Bowl for about 3 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add cream cheese, salt and pepper stirring until cream cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Add cheese mixture to pasta in saucepan stirring until coated. Let stand 5 minutes. Pour mixture into 2 quart baking dish coating with cooking spray. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and just starting brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
by Julie Evink
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 329 Calories from fat 193|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21||32%|
|Saturated Fat 5||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 1||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|