Whole Grain Strawberry Breakfast Bars – A simple recipe for whole grain breakfast bars made with oats and almonds, and filled with strawberries.
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Hello, everyone! This is Allison from Celebrating Sweets. I’m here with a tasty treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Although the start of the new year has many of us eating healthier, I still believe that sweets can be enjoyed in moderation. If your holiday season was extra indulgent (mine was!), these breakfast bars are a great way to enjoy something delicious that you don’t have to feel too guilty about.
These bars are made by combining a mixture of oats, flour, almonds, brown sugar, and butter. This mixture is used as both the crust and the crumbly topping. A small amount of the mixture gets set aside while the remaining amount gets pressed into a pan. That gets topped with strawberry jam and fresh strawberries, then sprinkled with the reserved oat mixture. These babies get baked until golden brown, then they cool, and then get cut into bars (sneak a bite while they are still warm, I won’t tell). 😉
These are so, so delicious. My husband, 3 year old son, and I love them. In fact, I have made this recipe twice recently – we just can’t get enough! Feel free to swap out the strawberries for a different kind of berry, or substitute another nut for the almonds. And in the event that you don’t eat them all (highly unlikely), these freeze really well. Although I call these “breakfast bars,” they are fabulous any time of day. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Things you might need for this recipe!
Connect with Allison Here!
More from Celebrating Sweets:
Whole Grain Strawberry Breakfast Bars
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (all purpose flour can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 pan with foil, grease the foil. Set aside.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and brown sugar for several minutes, until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine almonds, flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until blended and crumbly. Remove 1 1/4 cups of the mixture and set it aside.
- Dump the remaining mixture into the prepared 9x9 pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to evenly press the mixture into the pan. Spread the strawberry jam over the crust, then top with sliced strawberries. Sprinkle the reserved oat mixture over the top.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, until the top is light golden brown and the jam is bubbling around the edges. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
by Allison Mattina