Easy Whole Wheat Pizza Pockets perfect for a quick weeknight meal and can be customized any way you like!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Hey folks, Krista here from Joyful Healthy Eats! Hope everyone’s doing well! I just wanted to start off today with a question, after all, it’s been a while since I’ve been over here! 🙂
Do you have a theme meal night each week? You know like Taco Tuesday, Meatless Monday, or Pizza Friday?
Growing up we use to have pasta night at least once a week but since I’ve been married we haven’t had a theme night. I really couldn’t tell you why. I think in the beginning I was just trying to figure out the whole cooking thing and being a wife.
As a food blogger I rarely ever make the same meal twice. I’m always messing around and creating different recipes for the blog.
But now that I’m a mom I want my little guy to look forward to something fun every week. He just got to the age of remembering things and enjoys creating traditions so the first thing that came to mind was having a Pizza and Movie night!
We don’t do it every week, but try to do it at least twice a month and usually it falls on a Friday. This past week I wanted to throw a change up to the regular pizza recipe so we made pizza pockets instead.
I just used my go to Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, rolled it out, cut it into 6 squares and filled them with all kinds of deliciousness! The Pizza Dough could easily be made the day before to speed up dinner time a bit.
When thinking of what to fill these with, my mind was going all over the place… Spinach Artichoke, BBQ Chicken, Pesto Chicken, the list goes on. But you know what. Sometimes simple is better.
My little guy adores pepperoni, he actually will go to the fridge and just pull out a handful as a snack. BINGO.
Pepperoni, Peppers, Onions, and Cheese. Easy Ingredients packed in delicious pizza dough, browned to perfection, and then dunked in a homemade fire roasted tomato marinara sauce! Just do it! Believe me, it will be a family favorite and you will love how versatile this recipe is!
Whole Wheat Pizza Pockets
- Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pepperoni slices
- 1/3 cup red pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup green pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 28 oz. fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out dough into a large 12x8 rectangle. Cut in half and then cut each half into 3 equal squares. (you will have 6 total squares to work with)
- Evening distribute pepperoni, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, diced red onion, and mozzarella on one half of each square.
- Fold over the unfilled half of the square to create a pocket and pinch the edges together so that all the filling is enclosed.
- Place pockets on a parchment paper lined baking sheets.
- Brush the top of each pizza pocket with egg mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until tops of pizza pockets are slightly browned and hard.
- In the meantime, heat medium saucepan pan to medium high heat. Add olive oil and red onions. Saute until transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan, saute for 30 seconds. Add in crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve pizza pockets with marinara sauce.
by Krista Rollins
|Serving Size||1 pizza pocket|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 304kcal Calories from fat 187|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 21g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Things You Might Need for this Recipe!
More Pizza Recipes from Joyful Healthy Eats: