Almond Cherry Cookies Recipe ~ Soft, Delicious Almond Cookies Glazed in Cherry Frosting with a Surprise Cherry in the Middle!
This Sunday we got to play the role of Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus in church during the children’s Christmas program. When I was a little girl I always wanted to be Mary and I was always disappointed when someone else got picked to play her. I guess waiting patiently pays off in life sometimes huh? We were asked before we had Miss RJ and much to my husband’s dismay I agreed to partake in the Christmas program. My hubs is not one for public attention or any attention at all.
I’m not sure why he was so apprehensive of it considering all way did was show up, put on a costume and literally walk in and sit down in front then walk out. We didn’t have to speak or anything! Although I did almost wipe out when I was up front from stepping on the edge of my costume. Hope no one noticed that! Trying to get ready for church on Sunday morning also made me realize how long it takes our family to get ready to go anywhere now. Between waking everyone up, me nursing Miss RJ, feeding Miss K, figuring out outfits, rounding everyone up I was exhausted before we even got out the door. Wait, that could be from lack of sleep. Please tell me at some point this will change or I’ll be getting up at 5 am for work so I can simply get the girls out the door by 7:45!
I also have realized my love of sweatpants and yoga pants is somewhat unhealthy while I’m on maternity leave. I live in them. I cry when my favorite ones are dirty and I have to do laundry again. Like that’s ever a problem because I feel like I do at least three loads of laundry per day right now. The laundry pile never seems to shrink for some reason. It could be my hormones causing me to feel like this and the exhaustion again. Sigh.
Little Miss RJ was a rockstar for like two nights for sleeping and this Momma got her hopes up and thought this was going to be a snap this time. Then the last two nights happened and she likes to be up from 3:45 am to 5 am and that my friends is rough. Real rough. So please take a little time to say a prayer for me this passes quickly because I just can’t do it. I can’t.
Not that you came here to here me whine about lack of sleep have you? Nah, you want cookies and I really don’t blame you for that at all. It is cookie season right now isn’t it? That time of year where everywhere you look you are seeing cookies and getting treats like Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries. Oh it’s a fabulous time of year! Not that your pants agree. Those pesky pants. Just get the fat pants out for the month and then no one will feel bad ok?
These Almond Cherry Cookies are impressive. The cookie is loaded with almond and I’m always a goner for anything almond then you bite into it and are surprised with a cherry. Top it off with a sweet cherry glaze and you’ll be swooning from now until Christmas. I promise these festive treats are not to be passed up!
Almond Cherry Cookies
- 3/4 c. silvered almonds ground
- 1 c. butter softened
- 3/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz jar maraschino cherries halved, 1 Tsp juice reserved
- Red Decorating Sugar
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2-3 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until blended.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt and almonds. Blend dry into butter mixture.
- To form a cookie take a tablespoon of dough, make a pit in the middle and place a half of a cherry in pit then fold dough over the cherry to form a ball of cookie dough. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Flatten cookie dough slightly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8-9 minutes or until edges are just starting to turn golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a small bowl mix together powdered sugar, cherry juice and almond extract for frosting. Add enough milk to make it dipping consistency. Dip tops of cookies in icing, flip over and place on wire rack. Sprinkle with red sugar.
Recipe from: Gooseberry Hometown Christmas
Looking for more Cherry Treats?
Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookies ~ Soft, Chocolate Cookies filled with Cherry Pie Filling and Drizzled with Chocolate!
Sweet Cherry Cookies ~ Soft, chewy and super simple cookies that will disappear in seconds!
Chocolate Cherry Brownies ~ Fudgy Brownies with a surprise of Cherry!!