Apple Crumb Cakes Recipe ~ Soft & fluffy cake, packed with apples, cinnamon & molasses, add to that a crumb topping & frosting drizzle!
Hello there everyone! It’s Gina from Kleinworth & Co. Are you all experiencing fall where you are yet? We are here in North Idaho just a bit, so of course I couldn’t wait to pay a visit to our friend farmer Joe & do a little apple picking. That means we are overloaded with apples & my kitchen is bursting at the seams with the smell of apples & cinnamon. I certainly don’t mind, it’s positively heavenly. My husband grew up basically in an orchard, so this time of year brings back so many memories for him. One of which is this recipe for Apple Crumb Cakes.
Soft & fluffy cake, packed with apples, cinnamon & molasses, add to that a crumb topping & frosting drizzle – they are positively scrumptious. I like that they are just sweet enough that I could have them for a dessert but not too sweet that I couldn’t pass them off as a breakfast. Definitely the perfect compliment to my morning cup of coffee. Oh yum! It’s so cozy & comforting. Sometimes I like to warm them & eat them plain, other times I add this frosting drizzle & then sometimes I like to warm them & spread a little homemade apple or pear butter on there. Oh my goodness, I can’t even express just how wonderful it is to start my day with that. WOW!
I know I’m torturing my neighbors when I leave the window cracked & all these wonderful fall smells drift on outside. I can’t get enough. I’m sure they are probably thinking that all we eat are apples & cinnamon with the amount of recipes I’m making here lately. But what’s a girl to do with all these apples just begging to be made into something delicious?! If you are looking for your new favorite apple recipe, this one is it!
Apple Crumb Cakes
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 medium apples cored, peeled & chopped
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter -melted & cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp cold butter cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line muffin tins (should make 12-15 muffins)
- In mixer bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon - mix
- In small bowl combine cooled butter, milk, molasses. Add to dry mixture & then add egg - beat until just combined
- Fold in apples
- Scoop spoonfuls into liners filling about 3/4 full
- In medium bowl combine butter, flour, sugar & cinnamon & stir with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly
- Sprinkle on top of muffin batter
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick test is clean
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to completely cool
- Whisk ingredients together & then drizzle over each muffin
- Store muffins in airtight container in refrigerator due to dairy in the glaze
- Microwave for 10-15 seconds to bring to a room temperature before serving
Looking for more great apple recipes?