Tender, juicy Baked Chicken Breasts are a delicious dinner recipe that’s healthy! These are so easy to make with the perfect amount of seasoning on them. Season, bake and enjoy. Perfect for a quick and easy dinner or perfect to meal prep with!
I’m showing you the best way to cook chicken breasts in the oven! This is my go-to simple recipe for easy dinners. You don’t need any special equipment or ingredients and the recipe steps are super easy!
When I first started cooking I didn’t like baking chicken because it always came out dry and not juicy and delicious. I’ve learned a few things since those early cooking days and I can honestly say I’ve mastered the perfect baked boneless chicken breast!
I can’t wait for you to try this recipe – you are going to love it, too!
Why This Recipe Works
This is a really simple recipe that uses all pantry ingredients except for the chicken. Even though it’s simple, it’s delicious! It has just the right amount of seasoning and the meat is always tender and juicy.
Or, make it for meal prep. Sometimes I bake a batch on Sunday and keep them in the fridge for easy meals during the week. You can slice them up for salads, tacos, and sandwiches.
We all need an easy baked chicken recipe that works every time – well, this one is it for me and I think you will love it, too!
This recipe is all about the seasoning rub! The combo of flavors is perfect and it gives the meat a nice color, too. The spice rub also helps create a delicious crust for the chicken as it bakes.
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika (or regular paprika if that’s what you have!)
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
I use about two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
The only thing you need to do to prep them is pounding them out to an even thickness. This tenderizes the meat and also ensures it will cook evenly in the oven.
How to Bake Chicken Breasts in the Oven
First, mix up your seasoning rub in a small bowl.
Take the chicken out of the package and lay them out on a cutting board. Use the meat mallet to pound them. You don’t need them super thin, you just want each piece to be the same thickness as the others.
Brush both sides of the chicken and place them in the baking dish. Sprinkle the seasoning so it coats the top. Turn them over and sprinkle the rest on the other side.
Bake the chicken at 450°F for 15 to 18 minutes. The easiest way to know when it’s done is to use a thermometer to check the temperature. It should read 165°F in the thickest part.
You can also check for doneness buy slicing into the center of the thickest part. It should be cooked through and the juices should run clear.
Take the chicken out of the oven and tent the baking dish with tin foil. This will trap the heat and keep the moisture in the pan so the meat doesn’t dry out as it rests.
Rest it for five to ten minutes. This will allow the juices to redistribute back into the meat so it’s nice and juicy when you slice it.
It will take more time – about 20 to 25 minutes. I like to cook it at 450 because it’s faster and you also get a really nice crust on top from the higher heat.
The best tip is to not overcook it. As soon as the internal temperature is 165°F the chicken is done. Cooking it for less time at a higher heat helps, too.
For my recipe, you don’t need to. I prefer to bake it uncovered so you get a crust on top. If you cover it, the trapped moisture will keep that from happening.
Cooked chicken will keep for three to four days in the refrigerator. I recommend keeping the breasts whole when you chill them and only slicing off what you need. They won’t dry out as much this way.
Yes, but they probably need less baking time if they are smaller. Prep them the same way and cook them until they are 165°F.
Give this easy oven baked chicken breasts recipe a try and you won’t need to look for another one! You will love how juicy, tender, and flavorful it is. Plus, it goes with so many side dishes!
Make it a Complete Meal!
Looking for some amazing side dishes to go with your delicious main course? Here are some we love to make!
- Crock Pot Green Beans with Bacon is a super simple side that would go great with your baked chicken breasts!
- For a classic comfort food dinner, pair them with Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes.
- Use your air fryer to make the best Baked Sweet Potatoes!
- Or pair it with a cold salad like Couscous Salad with Vegetables or Broccoli Salad.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? I would love to see your five-star rating!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy dinner!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts pounded to evenly thickness (about 2 lb)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely ground sea salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Brush both sides with olive oil.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder and onion powder together. Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over the chicken on both sides.
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. The thickest part of the breast should have an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the oven, loosely tent the baking dish with aluminum foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately after the chicken has rested.