Healthy and delicious Zucchini Fries are tender slices of zucchini that are dipped in a Parmesan Panko breading and then baked until they are crispy! This is the perfect healthy side dish recipe for an easy dinner. If you have extra zucchini to use up this is so easy to make!
For an easy side dish, you can’t go wrong with zucchini! And these baked zucchini fries are a crispy, delicious way to use up all the zucchini you might have hanging around.
We love zucchini all year, but especially towards the end of the summer when we seem to have a ton of it on hand. Friends, family, and neighbors are always dropping off fresh zucchini from their gardens and so I’m always looking for easy ways to use it up.
This recipe is so easy and a great side dish or appetizer. If you’ve never tried breaded zucchini before, you will love it!
Why This Recipe Works
- The zucchini sticks are breaded with flour, panko, and Parmesan with some egg to hold it together! It’s the best combination so the coating bakes up crispy and so good.
- The breadcrumb coating is seasoned with pantry spices for extra flavor.
- It’s an easy recipe – just slice, bread, and bake! These fries go with so many main dishes – we love them with meatloaf and baked chicken!
- Italian Panko – if you can’t find seasoned panko, you can use plain and season it with dried Italian seasoning.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Fresh zucchini – I like to use medium-sized ones for this recipe.
- All-purpose flour
- Large eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves
How to Make Them
Line the baking sheet with foil and preheat the oven to 425°F.
Take one zucchini and slice it in half. Slice the two halves in half so you have four pieces. Slice each piece into quarters so you have 16 sticks. Do this with the other zucchini so you have 32 sticks when you are done.
Next, prepare your breading bowls. In one bowl, combine the panko, cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
In a second bowl, beat the eggs with a fork or whisk.
Pour the flour into the third bowl.
Coat each piece in the flour and then coat it in the egg. Roll it in the bread crumbs and lightly press the coating so it sticks. Place the breaded stick on the sheet pan. Do this with the rest of the zucchini.
Bake them for 15 to 20 minutes or until the coating is browned and crispy.
Main Dish Ideas!
Here are some main dish recipes you might like with your hot and crispy zucchini fries!
- Make a batch of Garlic Butter Steak Bites!
- They are delicious with some Honey Garlic Chicken Drumsticks.
- Or, try them with some Baked Pork Chops.
For this recipe, the flour absorbs some of the moisture while the zucchini cooks so the breading stays nice and crispy! So, don’t skip the flour part for the breading.
I think they are best hot from the oven. The coating will soften as they sit. If you have leftovers, they will keep in the refrigerator but they won’t be as crispy when you reheat them.
Yes, but the cooking temperature and time are not the same so be sure to check out my air fryer zucchini fries recipe if you want to try it.
This is such a great way to use up zucchini! Give it a try and I know you’ll get rave reviews – everyone loves them when I make them!
Easy Vegetable Side Dishes
Looking for more easy veggie sides? Here are a few my family loves!
- Oven Roasted Potatoes are perfectly seasoned and so delicious! They go with so many main dishes, too!
- Broccoli Casserole is easy to prep in 10 minutes and then pop it in the oven until it’s bubbling hot. It’s creamy with a crunchy buttery topping – everyone will love it!
- Roasted Cauliflower is so simple and so delicious!
- Crock Pot Ranch Carrots are the best side to make when you don’t have space in the oven. Plus, they’re flavored with ranch!
Love this easy recipe? Be sure to comment and leave a five-star rating below! It will make my day!
If you make it please tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats. That way I can see your delicious dish!!!
- 1 c. Italian Panko
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 medium zucchinis
- ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Slice the zucchini in half, then half again, then into quarters. You should have 16 slices per zucchini.
- In a shallow bowl, pie plate or cake pan combine the Panko, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, pie plate or cake pan whisk eggs and in another pan add the flour.
- Dip the zucchini in the flour, then into eggs and then dredge in the Panko mixture, pressing to coat.
- Place zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Place a baking sheet with zucchini into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.