Blueberry Gluten Free Pancakes with Quinoa and Lemon – These gluten free pancakes are loaded with blueberries, quinoa and a pop of fresh lemon! They’re protein-packed and make a delicious, healthy breakfast!
Let’s talk about the world’s funnest word to say, besides zoodles.
I remember when I first started cooking it, and had no idea how to say it. Pretty sure there were many instances of “KIN-OH-AAA” when the hubs asked what was for dinner.
There were also many instances of, well, dinner. Quinoa was not rearing its grainy little head at ANY of my other meals.
And most DEFINITELY not in my blueberry pancakes. If you’ve been around my blog for any length of time, you would know that I have a major pancake addiction. And no one messes with it.
Especially not a hard-to-say-EAT-ONLY-AT-DINNER-ALWAYS-AS-A-SIDE-DISH. No matter how much healthy goodness it had, I was determined to never start my day with it.
That was until I decided to go on a pancake pinning spree.
This is how I spend my real life. Feel free to judge me. I just really like pancakes mmmkay?
I typed “healthy pancakes” into the search bar and LOW AND BEHOLD, ALL the quinoa filled pancake goodness (that I had yet to know was actually SO GOOD) popped up onto my screen.
I apprehensively pinned. And even MORE apprehensively pondered the idea of putting this full-of-good-for-you-nums-that-just-rolls-off-the-tongue little grain/seed/whateveritis into my morning eat-age.
AND THEN, as I pondered. I decided to say “NO WAY JOSE” and I went to IHOP. Because they have my most favorite blueberry pancakes EVER, that just so happen to be whole wheat and healthier. Again, if you know anything about my blog, you know this.
You ALSO know that everything changed that morning. I went to IHOP, totally STOKED on the breakfast I was about to plant my little face into.
AND THEN, the sequel, they CHANGED THE RECIPE OF MY PANCAKES. Which basically means they took my heart, broke it into itty bitty pieces and punched it in its face. And then stomped on it.
Not that I’m dramatic.
I never wanted to go back. BUT, I still needed my pancake FIXATION.
I knew what needed to happen.
The very next day, the quinoa did its magical, bubbly, somehow absorb SO MUCH water dance in my pot. And then it was stirred into my batter. With a pop of vanilla Greek yogurt, fresh blueberries and zesty lemon.
OHHH and whippy, light egg white. <– Did you know this trick to making gluten free pancakes SO FLUFFY?!
I cooked them. They bubbled up and got THICK AND FAT. There was nervous excitement.
I bit in. HOLY FLYING MONKEYS.
Where have quinoa pancakes been ALL MY LIFE?
H-E-A-L-T-H-Y, Light as air, most and so perfectly sweet that you don’t even NEED SYRUP ß RIGHT HERE.
I have 3 words for you:
Take. That. IHOP.
Blueberry Gluten Free Pancakes with Quinoa and Lemon
- 1 Cup Oat flour 105g
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Non-fat Vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Fresh lemon juice about 1 large lemon
- Zest of one large lemon
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Cooked quinoa
- 1 ½ Cups Fresh blueberries
- 2 Large Eggs separated
- 1 large Egg white
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oat flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the vanilla Greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and egg yolks (make sure to separate them from the whites!) until smooth and creamy.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture, along with the cooked quinoa, just until moistened. Set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the 3 egg whites in a very large bowl on high speed until they form stiff peaks, this takes about 5-6 minutes.
- Gently fold in half the whipped egg whites into the pancake mixture, until there are no white streaks left. Then, fold in the remaining half, along with the blueberries.
- Let your batter rest for 5 minutes while your preheat your griddle to medium heat.
- Drop the batter by ½ Cup measurements, lightly spreading out onto the griddle. Cook until the under-side is golden brown, the edges look cooked, and the top is no longer bubbling. You want to cook these low and slow, to make sure they cook through all the way. Flip and repeat until the opposite side is golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with syrup or a squeeze of honey, and DEVOUR.
Crock Pot BBQ Chicken Quinoa – Made in the crock pot so it’s SUPER quick and easy. Perfect for weeknights when you need something healthy, delicious and full of flavor!
Goat Cheese and Quinoa Crusted Chicken – Quick, easy, healthy and gluten free! Goat cheese and red peppers complete this weeknight-friendly meal.
Kale and Quinoa Skillet with Garlic Herb Butter – Made in one pan and is SO easy and full of flavour. It’s a perfect dinner for a weeknight that your family will love!