Craving your favorite coffee store drink? Make it at home! This Copycat Starbuck Caramel Macchiato is so easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients. There’s nothing like treating yourself to a coffee first thing in the morning or as an afternoon pick me up.
I love coffee drinks but I don’t love spending a ton of money on them! If you’re with me, you’re going to love this post. I’m showing you how to make the best caramel macchiato!
Yep, it’s a Starbucks copycat and this is my favorite one yet. It’s so easy and the perfect treat to have at home when you need a little kick of caffeine. Which, for me is pretty much any time of day!
Why This Recipe Works
- You only need five ingredients to make this coffee drink!
- Make it with espresso or try one of my coffee drink hacks if you don’t have an espresso maker.
- It combines vanilla with coffee and caramel sauce for that classic macchiato flavor. In other words, it’s delicious!
A caramel macchiato is made with two ounces of espresso. If you don’t have an espresso machine, there are other options!
- If you have a Keurig, use an espresso pod to make your coffee.
- If you have a French press or a regular drip coffee maker, just brew a really strong batch of regular coffee – you will need four ounces for your drink.
You will also need milk – whole milk or 2% will work great. You can also use nut milk or oat milk.
Vanilla syrup is mixed with the milk. You can buy it or make your own homemade vanilla syrup – it’s easy to do.
Add some whipped cream and caramel sauce for garnish!
How to Make It
Brew: Make your espresso (or strong coffee). While it brews, you can prepare the rest of the drink.
Warm: Heat the milk and vanilla syrup until hot. You can do this on the stove or in the microwave. Don’t boil the milk, just heat it until it’s steaming hot.
Froth: Once your milk and vanilla are heated, froth them to create foam. If you don’t have a frother, you can pour the milk into a jar, secure the lid and shake the jar until the milk is frothy.
Combine: Pour the frothed milk into a mug. Pour the brewed espresso (or coffee) over the top.
Garnish: Add a dollop of whipped cream and drizzle the caramel sauce over the top and serve!
Want it sweeter? Add more vanilla syrup.
Need a little more kick? Add more espresso or coffee to the drink to get an extra caffeine boost!
Love caramel? Go ahead and stir in some extra caramel sauce to the warm milk for more caramel flavor in the drink.
If you don’t have a way to make espresso, you can use regular coffee. Just make it stronger than you normally would and double the amount. For espresso you need two ounces, so for regular strong-brewed coffee, you will need four ounces.
Yes, you can froth nut milk. It won’t be as frothy as whole milk but they will work!
Lattes and macchiatos are very similar. Lattes usually have more milk and the espresso is added to the mug first and then the milk. Macchiatos tend to have more espresso and it is poured over the frothed milk.
No, I don’t recommend that because they aren’t the same thing. Vanilla syrup is a type of flavored simple syrup made with sugar and water. It’s used to flavor all kinds of coffee drinks.
This drink is best when it’s made fresh. If you make parts of it ahead I can’t say for sure how good it will be when you warm it up.
I can’t wait for you to try this cozy caramel macchiato! It’s just as good as a Starbucks caramel macchiato and a lot less expensive. Treat yourself to one this week – I know you will love it!
More Amazing Coffee Drinks
- Caramel Latte is another easy cafe drink you can make at home!
- Learn how to make Dalgona Coffee – a trendy whipped coffee drink that’s so fun to make and drink.
- I love to make Spiced Coffee for holidays – it’s a really easy way to fancy up your regular cup of joe!
- Treat yourself to a Cinnamon Roll Latte for your afternoon caffeine fix. No trip to the coffee shop required.
Love this recipe? Be sure and comment below and leave a 5-star rating! I know you’ll love this delicious drink as much as I do!
And if you’re like me and snap photos, be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way, I’m sure to see your yummy treat!!!
- 6 cup milk
- 2 oz espresso depending on how strong you like your coffee
- 1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
- Caramel sauce for drizzling
- Whipped cream optional
- Start by brewing espresso. While the espresso brews, warm milk and vanilla syrup together on the stove top or in microwave.
- When milk and vanilla mixture is hot, carefully froth milk with milk frother or in a glass jar.
- Place the vanilla milk mixture in your cup.
- Pour the espresso over the milk mixture. Top with caramel drizzle and whipped cream if desired.