A deliciously hearty breakfast skillet with roasted home fry potatoes, chicken, onions, peppers, salsa, and sour cream. This Chicken Fajita Skillet is a great weekend breakfast OR easy fast dinner!
So today for you I married breakfast and Tex-Mex – two of my favorite food genres everrrrrrrr.
If you follow me [this is Heather, by the way] on Sugar Dish Me, you know that I blog about breakfast pretty regularly. It’s not really on purpose, but ohhhhh is it a happy accident. I happen to be one of those super annoying morning people that happily gets up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday, makes coffee, and does 100 other things before the rest of my family decides to get out of bed. Don’t get me wrong — I need my coffee ya’ll. But I really dig the early start to my day, the sense of accomplishment before 9 a.m., and the awesome food choices that go along with it.
The great thing about this particular meal? You don’t have to share my love for the crack of dawn to enjoy it. It makes a great dinner, too! If you are not a morning person, you miss out on things like pancakes. I mean, we are grown ups and can make pancakes at 9 p.m. if we want, but I think pancakes do not taste as good after noon. Is that just me? Anyway, this Chicken Fajita Skillet tastes amazing at all hours of the day.
I can attest to that because I tried it for you. Oh the sacrifices I make for this job.
Whatever the time of day you decide to make this meal happen, just promise me you will!
Okay… you don’t have to promise. That’s a little heavy. But you know… if you feel like a breakfast burrito without the burrito, this is totally your ticket.
Chicken Fajita Skillet
- 4 cups diced Russet baking potatoes Mine were at about a 1" dice
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 thinly sliced chicken cutlets cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- fresh avocado slices and/or chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (parchment paper works best). While the oven pre-heats you can scrub and dice your potatoes. Spread them in a single layer across the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with the salt, and place them in the oven to roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium high in a large skillet. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper to evenly coat (I toss the raw chicken around a few times with my hands to coat it). Add it to the hot skillet and brown.
- Add the onions and peppers. Reduce the heat a little and continue cooking until the onions and peppers are soft and the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate pan or skillet cook the eggs to your liking. (Pictured are eggs poached over medium; you can scramble yours or fry them -- eggs are all about preference).
- When the potatoes are done, add them to the large skillet with the chicken, onions, and peppers. Toss to combine.Cover with the cheese.Top with the cooked eggs, salsa, and sour cream. Garnish with the avocado and cilantro. Serve hot.
If you enjoyed this post and would like to see more recipes by Sugar Dish Me, you can follow along via…
More Breakfast Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Breakfast Enchiladas ~ Tortillas stuffed with sausage, eggs, cheese and bacon then topped with more bacon and cheese! Make the night before!