I can never pass up a delicious bowl of Chicken Tortilla Soup whenever I’m at a restaurant, so I decided to make one at home I can enjoy any time I want! This soup recipe is loaded with tons of flavor and full of tender chicken, corn, salsa and has tons of flavor from the seasonings like cumin and chili powder. Plus, it’s topped with crunchy tortilla strips that I can never resist. This is the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner plus it’s great for meal prep and tastes even better the next day for packing lunches!
I love a great soup! I’ve been enjoying Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup, Chicken Taco Soup and Beer Cheese Soup and now that I saw there was a Chicken Tortilla Soup I knew that was the recipe I just had to try.
I’ve been looking for a recipe like this for a long time but it always seemed like a lot of work or had a few things in it I wasn’t so excited about.
This soup is big and flavorful without a ton of work but it delivers big on flavor. If you love that Chicken Tortilla Soup you get at your favorite restaurant, I know you’ll love this too!
It’s loaded with chicken, onion, salsa, corn and seasoned with just the right amount of cumin and chili powder.
You can always add in black beans, diced tomatoes or whatever your heart desires!
What do I need to make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- cooked chicken
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- chicken broth
- chili powder
- lemon juice
- corn tortilla chips
- cheese shredded
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This one looked perfect! And I was right. It’s fabulous and so easy to make any night. If you are like me and looking for a perfect Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe please go and make this one!
Can Chicken Tortilla Soup be frozen?
- Absolutely, this soup freezes great! Just wait to garnish the soup with the cheese and tortilla chips until prior to serving.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup gluten-free?
- Omit the tortilla chips and this becomes gluten-free.
Tips for Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Serve it piping hot so the cheese melts right into the soup.
- Top with tortilla chips for crunch!
- Use a rotisserie chicken to speed up the cooking process
- If you want to spice up your soup, top with diced jalapenos.
- More optional toppings include sour cream, cabbage and thinly sliced radishes. Diced onions and sliced olives are another great addition. Topping with pico de gallo makes for a big flavorful meal!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Another thing I love about this soup is it’s great to make on the weekend and then you have lunch all week long. It’s so simple I usually double the recipe to make sure I will have leftovers because my family loves it just as much as me!
If I don’t end up needing it for lunch I just throw it in the freezer and then I have a meal for another busy weeknight.
Who doesn’t love that!?
Make sure to grab your FREE Freezer Meal Labels so you can label it!
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Heat the olive oil in large pan. Add the onion and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add the cooked chicken, cumin, chili powder, chicken broth, corn, lemon juice and salsa and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Divide into bowls.
- Top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.
What to serve with Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Enjoy this recipe!! And when you do be sure and leave a five-star rating below! AND if there’s a soup or a new recipe you want to see that’s not on the blog, be sure and let m know what that is. I’d love to develop a recipe just for you!
Please tag me on Instagram with @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your tasty soup! I love seeing all of your photos!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 14.5 ounce chicken broth
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c. salsa
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 c. cheese shredded
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for the tortilla chips and cheese. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Divide into bowls. Top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.