Easy 30 minute, one pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is the best soup! It’s quick and easy making it the perfect weeknight dinner full of shredded chicken, tomatoes and corn with the perfect seasonings. Top it with sour cream, crunchy tortilla strips and diced avocado!
I love a great soup, especially on cold days! Lately, I’ve been enjoying Slow Cooker King Ranch Chicken Soup, Chicken Taco Soup and Beer Cheese Soup, so I decided to throw Chicken Tortilla Soup into the mix.
This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite soup recipes! It’s incredibly flavorful and yet doesn’t require a lot of work. If you love that Chicken Tortilla Soup you get at your favorite restaurant, I know you’ll love this too! It’s loaded with chicken, onion, salsa, corn and seasoned with just the right amount of cumin and chili powder.
Why You’ll Love Chicken Tortilla Soup
- This is the best chicken tortilla soup to make if you meal prep! Leftovers store well and are easy to heat up for lunches or dinners.
- You can make this easy chicken tortillas soup in 30 minutes or less.
- This soup is easily adaptable! You can always add in black beans, diced tomatoes or whatever else your heart desires.
Ingredients Needed for this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Cooked chicken – This crockpot shredded chicken is the perfect recipe to use for the chicken needed in easy chicken tortilla soup.
- Olive oil – You’ll need a splash of olive oil to cook your garlic and onions. You can also use butter, avocado oil, or vegetable oil if you prefer.
- Minced garlic – Either mince your own fresh garlic cloves or use the minced garlic from the jar.
- Diced Onion – I prefer to use a yellow onion in this recipe since it has a more mild flavor.
- Ground cumin – Cumin give chicken tortilla soup the quintessential taste it needs!
- Chicken broth – You’ll need two 14.5 ounce cans of your favorite chicken broth.
- Corn – For this recipe, you will need one 15 ounce can of corn.
- Chili powder – Chili powder will give this soup the perfect amount of kick.
- Lemon juice – I recommend using fresh lemon juice. It gives extra great flavor to the soup.
- Salsa – You can either purchase a jar of your favorite salsa, or make this delicious homemade salsa to add to the soup.
- Corn tortilla chips – Crush you favorite tortilla chips and use them as a topping for each bowl of chicken tortilla soup.
- Shredded cheese – You can either shred your own cheese or use pre-shredded cheese. It will be a topping for each bowl of soup. I prefer cheddar or colby jack cheese with this chicken tortilla soup recipe.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
In a large sauce pan, sauté the diced onion and minced garlic until the onion is fragrant.
Then, add all of the remaining ingredients to the pan, except for the tortilla chips and cheese.
Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes and then serve while hot. Last but not least, top each bowl with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese.
Serving Tips for Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you want to round out Mexican night, then don’t forget the margaritas!
Storage Tips for Chicken Tortilla Soup
This easy chicken tortilla soup stores very well. Just wait to garnish any leftover soup until right before you plan to serve it.
FRIDGE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.
FREEZE: To freeze leftover chicken tortilla soup, pour it into an airtight container or into Ziplock freezer bags and lay them flat. It will freeze well for up to 3 months.
Divide the soup into individual servings before storing it. That way, you can easily grab the perfect portion you need to heat up your soup.
Is Chicken Tortilla Soup Gluten-Free
As long as you ensure all ingredients you use are gluten free, this soup is gluten-friendly! Be sure you purchase gluten free tortilla chips to top each bowl of soup!
Pro Tips for the Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Serve your soup while it’s piping hot! This will allow the cheese to melt into the soup and get all creamy and gooey.
- If you want to add extra flavor and save a bit of time, use a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store as your shredded chicken.
- Want more kick in your soup? Top each bowl with some freshly diced jalapeños!
Enjoy this easy soup recipe full of flavor the next time you have a craving!
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Looking for a good soup recipe that you can cook in your Instant Pot? Check out this delicious Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup.
- If you want some comfort food, this Chicken Noodle Soup is one of the most comforting meals there is.
- I love making soups in the Crock Pot and this Crock Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup is one of my go-to’s.
- If you’ve got leftover mashed potatoes that you need to use up, check out this Mashed Potato Soup.
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 14.5 ounce chicken broth
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 c. salsa
- 8 ounces corn tortilla chips
- 1/2 c. cheese shredded
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan. Add garlic and onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for the tortilla chips and cheese. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Divide into bowls. Top with crushed tortilla chips and cheese.