Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Burritos ~ These Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Burritos Great for Busy Nights When You Need an Easy Dinner Recipe! Stuffed with Rice, Chicken, Black Beans, Avocado, Sour Cream and Cheese!
I suppose you could make these Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Burritos for a proper sit-down dinner during which everyone gathers around the table to dig into tortillas stuffed with chicken, rice, chipotle black beans and a simple guacamole. That would work just fine, but these burritos are best served on those nights when trying to get everyone around the table is best described as “mission: impossible” and you need a grab-and-go dinner idea that gets everyone fed without having to set the table. If you want a sit down Mexican inspired dinner try these Creamy Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Enchiladas with Creamy Green Chili Sauce, and Chicken Ranch Enchiladas!
A burrito by its very nature is not meant for the dinner table, anyway. Made ahead, wrapped in foil, and stashed in a warm oven making it easy to reach in and grab one en route to whatever activity is next during this busy season – also known as the holidays – is exactly what these burritos were designed for. Plus, with a few shortcuts, they only take about 30 minutes to make which means whoever is on dinner-making-duty is not stuck in the kitchen all night making sure everyone gets something to eat.
It starts with shredded cooked chicken, chicken that you don’t have to cook because you’ll pick up one of those rotisserie chickens at the store. You’ll end up with more chicken than you’ll need for this recipe which means you can use the leftovers to make chicken pot pie soup, creamy pesto chicken, or cashew chicken rotini salad later in the week when there’s a moment of respite when everyone can gather around the table for dinner.
The only cooking part of this recipe is the chipotle black beans that come together in the time it takes to boil the rice. The beans cook with some onion, garlic, and spicy chipotle peppers in adobo sauce before you mash them into a refried beans situation. From there, make a quick 4-ingredient guacamole or, if you want to save five minutes, go ahead and use your favorite store-bought guacamole instead.
Wrap the burritos up in foil, pop them in a warm oven, and dinner is done. Or, as I like to say, dinner is “mission: accomplished.”
Steps to Making Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
- Prepare Rice!
- Prepare the Beans!
- Prepare Guacamole or Use Store Bought!
- Assemble Burritos!
Ingredients Needed for Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
- Long grain white rice
- Olive oil
- Black beans
- Chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded chicken
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
What are you waiting for? Grab your ingredients and try this winner out!
Chipotle Black Bean Chicken Burritos
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 large clove of garlic chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped plus 2 tablespoons of the sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro dvided
- 1 large avocado pitted and peeled
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Bring 1 cup of water (plus 1/2 teaspoon salt) to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add the rice and cook it for 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- While the rice cooks, make the black beans. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook it for about five minutes, or until it starts to soften. Add the garlic, black beans, and chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. Stir and cook it all for another five minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon of chopped cilantro and mash the beans with a potato masher until the mixture resembles refried beans. Turn the heat off.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. Add the lime juice, salt, and 1/2 tablespoon of cilantro and stir to combine.
- Divide the rice, black beans, shredded chicken, cheese and guacamole between six tortillas. Top each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream. Fold the sides of the tortillas in and roll to make a burrito. Wrap each burrito in tin foil and place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish. Warm the burritos in the oven until ready to serve.