Chocolate Caramel Brownies
With only 5 ingredients these Chocolate Caramel Brownies are a quick and easy dessert recipe that anyone can make. It’s perfect for getting the kids into the kitchen too. The brownies are made with a German Chocolate Cake Mix that’s filled with caramel and chocolate chips.
Chocolate caramel brownies sound so fancy, right? They definitely look fancy, but they are so easy to make, which is great because you’ll want to make these on repeat! And if you throw in these Chocolate Lava Cakes every now and then, and people will think you’re a five star chef!
Rich and fudgy brownies with gooey caramel and chocolate filling is the best way to treat yourself when you get a chocolate craving. Or make a batch for parties and potlucks – I can promise they’ll be a hit!
When I make these, no one ever guesses that they’re German chocolate cake mix brownies because they taste like they’re made completely from scratch. You are going to love this recipe!
Why This Recipe Works
- You only need five ingredients to make them!
- Cake mix and a simple caramel sauce make this recipe so simple to make. If you haven’t tried cake mix brownies yet, you are going to love this easy shortcut.
- The caramel sauce is made with soft caramel candies – it’s a really easy way to make it!
For this recipe, we’re using German chocolate cake mix to make the brownies. It makes the best brownies!
You will need evaporated milk for the brownie batter and the caramel sauce.
Instead of making caramel sauce from scratch, I like to use caramel candy to make the sauce. It makes a sauce that is soft and gooey. It’s really easy to make.
The caramel will go in between two layers of brownies so when they’re done you get a gooey caramel center in each one. I also add chocolate chips for a little more chocolate goodness!
Melt the caramels with half of the evaporated milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir it frequently until the mixture is smooth. Take it off the heat and set it aside to cool while you make the brownies.
How to Make Caramel Brownies with Cake Mix
In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix with the rest of the evaporated milk and melted butter. You don’t need a mixer – it’s easy to mix up with a spoon.
Spread half of the batter in a prepared baking pan. The rest of the batter will be added after you bake the first layer. Bake the brownies for six minutes at 350°F.
Once the base brownie layer is baked, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top. Pour the caramel sauce over the chips.
Drop the remaining brownie batter by the spoonful over the top of the caramel sauce.
Bake the brownies for 15 to 18 minutes. Let them cool completely before slicing and serving.
Remember to disregard the cake mix box instructions and use the ingredients listed in my recipe to make the batter. You want to make rich, fudgy brownies instead of cake.
I’ve only tested this recipe with store-bought caramels and not homemade caramels. I can’t say how it will turn out with homemade ones, but if you try it, please let me know how it worked for you!
Don’t try and slice the brownies while they’re still warm – they will just be a big mess! You want the caramel to set up, so leave them to cool fully before serving. You can stick them in the refrigerator or even the freezer if you want to speed up the cooling process.
Store your cooled brownies in an airtight container, and they will keep well for a few days at room temperature.
Rich, gooey, and chocolatey – these are some serious chocolate caramel brownies! Make them for the chocolate and caramel lovers in your life and you will be a hero – they will love them!
More Ways to Use Cake Mix!
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies are soft, chewy, and easy to make! They are two-toned cookies that are great for cookie platters, potlucks, and holidays.
- Crumb Cake is the perfect treat to go with coffee and tea, and my recipe is so quick, thanks to yellow cake mix!
- Chocolate Cherry Bars are part homemade – the brownie bars are made from a cake mix, and the rich chocolate icing is made from scratch. The cherry and chocolate combination is to die for!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Chocolate Caramel Brownies
- 2/3 c. evaporated milk divided (5 oz)
- 12 oz package caramels
- 3/4 c. butter melted
- 15.25 oz box of German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- Melt caramels with 1/3 c. evaporated milk over medium heat, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
- Mix cake mix, 3/4 c. melted butter and 1/3 c. evaporated milk
- Spread 1/2 of the cake mixture on the bottom of a greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Take out of oven and pour chocolate chips and then the caramel mixture on top. drop remaining cake mix on top by the spoonful. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove and let set before serving. Make sure they cool completely or they are a mess! Stick them in the fridge or freezer if you get impatient!
Leave a Comment