Soft, tender and moist Banana Chocolate Chips muffins are the perfect treat to start your day. Make them for breakfast or an afternoon snack. They make the perfect grab and go breakfast for busy weekdays or an after school treat! So easy to make and freeze great.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Lighty, fluffy muffins with a hint of banana and chocolate! I mean, how can’t we love that for breakfast? Especially when they are easy to make and the perfect grab and go breakfast! I’m always on the run in the morning and I love breakfasts that are easy to make and I can hand off to the kids when we are walking out the door. Plus, who doesn’t have bananas that need to be used up?
A little trick on that leftover bananas. Did you know you can freeze them? I do it all the time! If I want to freeze them to use in muffins, banana bread or something like that I just throw them in the freezer whole, with the peeling on.
If I want to use them for smoothies then I peel them and break them in half, you can always quarter them, and throw them in a Ziploc bag. Then when I want a smoothie I just throw them in the blender cup and I’m good to go. Plus, a frozen banana in a smoothie is way better than a room temp one!
Why this Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe Works:
- Perfect way to use ripe bananas
- Tender, moist and sweet muffins
- Keep great and can be frozen
- All you need is pantry staples
I also love that these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are made with pantry staples! No need to run to the grocery store to get ingredients that you will only use once.
Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Ingredients
- White sugar
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour
- Chocolate chips
If chocolate chips in your muffins aren’t your thing please feel free to leave them out. If you’d like to add chopped nuts that would be excellent too!
Make a double batch and stick them in the freezer for a great breakfast that’s ready to go whenever you are craving a sweet treat in the morning. The options are endless!
How to Make Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Prep – Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line muffin pan with muffin liners or spay with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients – In a large mixing combine mashed bananas, sugar and egg until mixed. Stir in melted butter until combined.
- Mix dry ingredients – In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
- Mix – Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake – Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup divide batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
Baking at a high temperature for 5 minutes then reducing the temperature to a lower temperature after that gives you that high, perfect dome on your muffins!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe Pro Tips
- Ripe bananas are a must. In fact, the riper the better because they add more sweetness and make the muffin more moist.
- Splurge and get high quality chocolate. You’ll notice the difference!
- Never over mix muffin batter. If you over mix the batter a muffin will have a denser texture. The key is to mix just until the flour streaks disappear.
- We recommend filling each muffin cavity in your pan about ¾ full.
- To get a taller muffin follow our directions to bake at a higher heat (425 degrees F) for 5 minutes then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F to finish baking.
How to Store Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container after they have cooled completely.
To freeze the muffins, cool completely, then place your muffins in a single layer on a dish or baking sheet. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or until they are frozen solid. Then place the frozen muffins in an airtight freezer bag being sure to squeeze out any extra air to prevent freezer burn and dryness.
Thaw frozen muffins in refrigerator or on the countertop. You can also place them in the microwave for a few seconds.
How Long do Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins Last?
For the best shelf life store leftover muffins in an airtight container after they have cooled to room temperature. They will last up to two days stored at room temperature.
To get a longer life out of them, store freshly baked muffins that have cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To store in the freezer we recommend wrapping them in aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap then storing in a freezer bag or storage container. They will last up to 2-3 months in the freezer.
More Ways to Use Ripe Bananas!
- There’s nothing like a warm slice of banana bread slathered with butter!
- Mix your two favorites with this delicious Zucchini Banana Bread.
- If you need a hearty breakfast to keep you full until lunch try Peanut Butter Banana Crock Pot Oatmeal.
- Another great muffin is Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.
More Recipes to Try
- Easy Soft Sugar Cookies
- Taco Salad with Doritos Recipe
- Garlic Chicken Legs
- Dirt in a Cup
- Hamburger and Cheese Dip
- How long does frozen corn take to boil?
Did you try this recipe and love it? I’d love it if you’d give it a rating below and comment.
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 3 large bananas mashed
- ½ c. white sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ c. butter melted
- ½ c. chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with baking cups or spray them lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine bananas, sugar and egg. Add melted butter and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine dry muffin ingredients. Add to wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Lastly, add chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup divide up batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake 15-19 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.