Looking for the perfect warm Christmas beverage? This easy Christmas coffee is a flavorful combination of holiday spices and ground coffee brewed right in your coffee pot, mixed with warm milk and topped with whipped cream and sprinkles. It’s a great way to start your Christmas morning and is easy to make.
Waking up early on Christmas morning seems to be a tradition in our house. The kids are excited to see what Santa left so they wake up extra early to run to the tree and take a peek. I love seeing their faces light up from the magic of Christmas every year.
There is normally a pot of coffee brewing at least once if not twice during Christmas day. My favorite thing to do is make a special Christmas brew that makes my tired eyes light up too.
Why this Recipe Works
- Skip the rush at the coffee shop and make this delicious spiced coffee at home.
- Made with ingredients that are already in your pantry!
- The perfect, cozy way to warm up during the holiday season.
What is Christmas coffee?
This easy coffee recipe is a combination of Christmas-y spices, fresh ground coffee beans and milk. The whipped cream and festive sprinkles are optional but a totally fun addition.
The spices used are cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar. All of these spices are brewed right in with the coffee to make one special cup of Joe!
The ingredients in this recipe are pretty simple and should be easy to find at most grocery stores. In fact, I bet you have most of the ingredients on hand already in your pantry! To make this easy Christmas drink you will need:
- Spices – You need ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom for this recipe. These should be pretty easy to find in your baking aisle at your grocery store. I suggest trying the spices listed and then adjusting to your tastes and preferences if needed.
- Brown sugar – The brown sugar gives this coffee almost a caramel taste. I also find that I don’t need to add any sweetener to my coffee when I make it this way.
- Coffee – Feel free to use whatever coffee you have on hand. I prefer a good dark coffee, but any kind of coffee works here. If you have whole beans instead of ground, you can add the spices and brown sugar with the whole beans and grind it all together to help infuse flavor.
- Milk – You can use your favorite milk in this recipe. If you want to keep this recipe dairy-free use your favorite almond, coconut or oat milk here.
- Whipped cream – This is an optional topping to the coffee but super fun and festive. You can use homemade, store bought or even dairy free whipped cream on top.
- Red and green sprinkles – These add another festive touch to the top of your coffee. You can find sprinkles in the baking aisle as well.
After you gather all your ingredients you will also need to grab:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Small bowl
- Coffee Maker
- Coffee Mugs
Steps to Prepare
There are two easy parts to this recipe. The first is creating the Christmas coffee blend and the second is brewing and making the coffee.
- Measure out your spices and the brown sugar. Place in a small bowl and mix together. If you are using ground coffee, add it to the bowl and mix together as well.
- If you are using whole coffee beans, add the spice mixture to the grinder along with the beans. Grind together and place the mixture in your coffee filter.
- Place your spice and coffee mixture in your filter and add at least 10 cups of water. Start and allow to brew.
- Once the coffee is done brewing, add to your coffee mug, pour in your milk of choice and top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Cold brew Option
Don’t want hot coffee? You can also make this recipe with cold brew coffee! Follow the instructions for making the Christmas coffee blend and then add it to a mason jar with water. Allow to sit in the fridge overnight and then serve with milk, whipped cream and sprinkles on Christmas morning!
You can store any of your leftover brewed Christmas coffee in a mason jar in the fridge. To heat it up, pour a cup and place it in the microwave. Or you can add ice and enjoy an iced Christmas coffee!
Breakfast Treats to Pair with Christmas Coffee!
Tried this recipe? Be sure to comment below, I definitely want to hear from you!!!
And if you’re like me and snap photos be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your yummy treat!!!
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 c. ground coffee
- 10 c. water
- Whipped cream
- Christmas sprinkles
- Measure out your spices and brown sugar and mix them together in a small bowl. Add the ground coffee to the bowl and mix to combine.
- If using coffee beans, add the spices and the beans to your coffee grinder and grind together.
- Place the spiced coffee mix in your coffee filter and add your water. Set to brew.
- Once done brewing, pour into a mug and add your desired amount of milk. Top with whipped cream and sprinkles.