Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Avocado Cilantro Dip – Grilled shrimp are marinated in lime juice, honey and jalapeno pepper, then grilled for a quick and easy, healthy appetizer that’s perfect for Summer!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Whip-a-de-doo-da-simple-shrimp-dinna comin’ at your face today.
I don’t really know where that came from, but we’re going with it anyway.
It’s summer. Well, almost. I mean. It’s May which is PRACTICALLY summer because I need to drive with my sunglasses on. Which is really, really hard considering I wear “real people” glasses on my eyeballs about 90% of the day.
Don’t picture me wearing sunglasses OVER my glasses and trying to drive around without them falling off my head. It’s not pretty.
Summer means it’s time to eat simple meals. Simple meals on STICKS of course. Except salads. Don’t put those on sticks.
Unless you want to waste your WHOLE DAY poking crunchy, fresh greenery onto a stick ONE LEAF at a time. And then have zero other time to do anything with your life, because that would take FOREVA. Which will then cause you to want to poke random people with the stick out of anger and RAGE.
Just toss it in a bowl and use a fork. You’ll be happier.
And so will your family. Not that I know anything about this.
Back to shrimp.
The crazy-recipe-loving-person that I am was a little “EHHHHH” about this “Recipe idea.” Because, well, it’s like stupid easy. Like mix the shrimp in ingredients that are already in your fridge, make them do that smokey-on-the-grill dance and DONE.
I wondered if we would still be internet friends if I threw a kebab of not-very-hard-or-original at your head.
And then I decided that we probably wouldn’t be. But only because I threw a skewer at your head. Not because of the whole “not supah original thang.”
So I decided that “you can’t re-invent the wheel every time” and put a shrimp on the BARBIE MATE.
P.s if you use your imagination really hard, shrimp kind of look like wheels. The wheels of the SEA.
You get it.
I bit down into one of the shrimp and the fresh lime flavah punched my taste buds right in the face and yelled “SUMMER EATS.” Then I kept munching my way through the tender, juicy pink sea-creatures and fell head over heels in L-O-V-E with the sweet honey that got all deliciously-sticky-caramelized from its up close and personal grill sesh.
But, it did need a little somethin’ somethin’.
You know, like something to dip my face, eeer the shrimp, right on into.
Obvi avocado was my choice. Because when is it not to my inner-green-food loving self?
And Greek yogurt. Because 2 x the creamy and MORE protein. <– WIN.
SIMPLE SUMMER FOOD.
It’s here and it’s happening.
Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimb Kebabs with Avocado Cilantro Dip
For the shrimp
- 1/4 Cup Fresh lime juice (about 2-3 large limes) + additional for drizzling
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Jalapeno, minced (about 1 jalapeno)
- Pinch of salt/Pepper
- 1 Lb Shrimp, peeled and de-veined.
For the dip
- 1/2 Cup Avocado, mashed (about 1 small avocado or 120g)
- 1/4 Cup Plain, Non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- Salt/pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients up to the shrimp. Stir until evenly mixed. Add in the shrimp and toss until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let the shrimp marinate.
- Preheat your grill to medium/high heat and lightly spray it with cooking spray.
- Skewer the shrimp (remember to soak the skewers for at least an hour if using bamboo!) so that there are 4-5 shrimp per skewer.
- Place the skewers on the grill and cook until lightly charred and opaque, about 1.5-2 minutes. Flip and repeat until cooked. Cover to keep warm while you make the dip.
- In a small food processor (mine is 3 cups) combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze lime juice over the shrimp and serve with the dip.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 309kcal Calories from fat 149|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 17g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Things You Might Need for This Recipe!
Connect with Taylor Here!
Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Avocado Cilantro Dip – SO crispy, healthy, and are complete with a quick and easy avocado cilantro dip. You won’t miss the fried version!
Jalapeno Lime Hummus – A Hummus recipe without Tahini that is healthy, quick and easy with a kick from jalapeno, cilantro and lime! A new twist on your favorite classic hummus.
Cilantro Lime Tilapia – Ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for a weeknight. A little taste of the Southwest at your dinner table!