Use cinnamon rolls for this easy and tasty twist on monkey bread. Sweet, soft, filled with cinnamon, and topped with cream cheese icing.
I’m here with another tasty treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Are you ready for fall? Hopefully you’re enjoying cooler temperatures and preparing for the change of seasons. Bring on the boots, scarves, and pumpkin lattes – I am ready!
Today I’m bringing you Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Muffins! I love these “muffins” for mornings when there is a chill in the air. They are warm, comforting, and they just beg to be accompanied by a cup of coffee or tea. They’re perfect for the months of cool weather ahead.
These Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Muffins are exactly what they sound like: Monkey Bread meets Cinnamon Roll! And what a delicious combination they are!
These muffins are made by cutting store bought cinnamon rolls into pieces. The pieces get piled into a muffin tin and smothered in a brown sugar caramel mixture. They’re baked until puffed up and tender (side note: your house will smell amazing). And of course, like any good cinnamon roll, these get topped with cream cheese frosting!
On the topic of frosting, I’m going to be honest with you. For these pictures, I put pretty little drizzles of frosting on each muffin. But, when it actually came time to eat them, my family smothered them in frosting. Who wants a little tiny drizzle of frosting? Not this girl! I refrained a bit so you could actually see what the muffins look like, but just know that the frosting recipe makes enough to generously frost these babies.
Aside from being delicious, these monkey bread muffins are also fun! My four year old, Jake, helped me make them, and he had a blast. It’s so nice to make a recipe that is simple, fun, and creative. Take a regular can of store bought cinnamon rolls and do a little something different. Your friends and family will be glad you did, and you’ll get to watch these muffins get devoured piece by piece.
Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Muffins
- One 17.5 oz can unbaked cinnamon rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar sifted if lumpy
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 7 cups of a muffin tin, set aside.
- Cut each cinnamon roll into 8 or 9 pieces (if they start to fall apart a little that’s OK. Just press them back together). Divide the pieces between 7 muffin cups, pressing the pieces together as you place them in.
- In a small saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon of milk to a boil. Stir until smooth and combined. Pour the brown sugar mixture evenly over each of the muffins. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until puffed up and cooked through. Meanwhile, prepare the icing (see below).
- Cool the muffins just slightly before carefully removing from the pan. I run a knife around the outside of each one to help them come out of the pan easier. Drizzle or pour cream cheese icing over the top of each muffin. Serve immediately.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add more milk or powdered sugar, if necessary, to reach your desired consistency.
Things You Might Need for this Recipe!
Connect with Allison Here!
More from Celebrating Sweets: