Cranberry Cake with Caramel Sauce Recipe ~ Moist vanilla cake filled with cranberries and covered in a warm caramel sauce! An elegant holiday dessert that is super easy!
When do you guys start the holiday baking frenzy? I never used to start this early…. but being a food blogger has made me way too excited for each new holiday that comes. Except Halloween… and I know Halloween is just around the corner, but I’m just not as good at the cutesy stuff, you know?
But if you wanted to bake up a Cranberry Cake and douse it in warm caramel for Halloween, I think that is perfectly acceptable.
It is that good.
And it’s so much easier than it looks! I think those are the best recipes — simple with few ingredients.
Where do you guys find your baking inspiration? I am a little obsessed with cookbooks and cooking magazines, especially the old ones with recipes that so many people have forgotten about. I find the only way I can really relax is to take a step back from technology and settle in with a good read (droolworthy photos of food don’t hurt either…).
I came across this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and definitely wanted to try it. That thin, warm caramel sauce just soaks into the cake and is the perfect contrast to the tart cranberries! I will definitely be making this again closer to the holiday season.
This would be the perfect dessert for a Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner, or just a quick something sweet when you don’t have a lot of time. The cake is served warm so there’s none of that painful waiting for things to cool so you can dig in!
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries I used frozen
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup milk or heavy cream I used milk, the original used heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9” square pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until crumbly. Add in egg and milk and beat until combined.
- Add in flour, salt, and baking powder and beat until just combined. Stir in cranberries.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare caramel sauce. In a small pot, melt butter. Add brown sugar and milk or cream and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook over a low boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Serve warm over warm cake.
You might also like these White Chocolate Cranberry Cupcakes!
Or these Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies!