With only three ingredients these Crockpot Chicken Tacos are the perfect quick and easy dinner recipe for a busy weeknight! Simply combine the chicken breasts, taco seasoning and salsa in your crock pot and let them cook. Shred the chicken, mix together and pile it on your tortilla and top with your favorite taco toppings!
You can also use it in enchiladas, burritos, nachos and more. The possibilities are endless!
You guys know I love my easy recipes but when a recipe only has three ingredients and cooks in the crockpot all day AND can be used to make so many different dinners, well, that’s just the best recipe ever, right? You can use this easy chicken recipe to make the most delicious tacos or any other Mexican-inspired dinner like enchiladas, burritos, nachos… the list goes on!
I’m pretty much a zombie first thing in the morning and the last thing I want to do is a bunch of prep work so this recipe is a lifesaver. Salsa, taco seasoning and chicken – that’s it! You don’t even have to slice the meat first. Crockpot Italian Chicken and Spanish Chicken are two of my other favorite “dump and go” crockpot recipes you might like, too.
When you get done with your busy day with a hungry family to feed all you have to do is shred the meat. Then serve it up – we love our tacos around here and I love to get all the toppings on the table and let everyone dress up theirs however they want. It really doesn’t get any easier – it’s the ultimate easy weeknight dinner.
I also love to make ground beef taco meat in my crock pot!
3-Ingredient Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- I love to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe but if you like thighs you can use those, too! Or you can do a mix of both, but just be sure to use boneless, skinless ones. Thighs are smaller than chicken breasts so you might want to toss a couple of extra ones in if you use them.
- You will want to use one packet of low-sodium taco seasoning or use your own homemade taco seasoning.
- For the salsa, you get to choose your own adventure. Pick your favorite store bought salsa – spicy or not spicy, it’s your choice!
Place the chicken in the crockpot, top it with the seasoning and salsa, and cook it all on low for six to eight hours. After the chicken has simmered in the salsa all day it’s so flavorful. It’s also super tender so once you’re ready for dinner all you have to do is shred it. I usually do this right in the crockpot – less mess to clean up!
Taco Topping Ideas!
You can use this shredded chicken in so many ways, but I love to use it to make tacos. Here are some of our favorite toppings:
- We love some crunchy taco shells but sometimes I mix it up and serve the tacos with soft corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
- Shredded lettuce – iceberg, romaine, even spinach works well! We also love diced tomatoes.
- All the cheese, please! Cheddar cheese is our go-to, but Monterey jack and pepper jack cheese are great, too.
- Add some sliced avocado or make a batch of my easy guacamole!
- Spoon some salsa over the top or pico de gallo.
- Creamy sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro are great, too.
More Ways to Use Shredded Chicken
When I’m not in the mood for tacos, I’ve use this easy crockpot chicken to make:
- Enchiladas: just roll-up tortillas with the chicken and cheese, top them with enchilada sauce and cheese and bake them until warm and bubbly.
- Nachos: Grab your tortilla chips, spread them in an even layer on a baking sheet, top them with the shredded meat and cheese and bake them for a few minutes until the cheese has melted. Top with all of your favorite nacho toppings!
- Burritos: Roll the chicken up in tortillas with other fillings like beans, cheese, and sour cream. Serve them smothered with salsa and more cheese on top.
The great thing about this shredded chicken is that it will keep in the refrigerator for a few days for easy lunches. We always have some leftover over and the hubby loves that he gets more tacos for lunch the next day. Or, you can use the leftovers to make sandwiches, wraps, add it to a salad – I’m telling you, it’s so versatile!
The chicken tacos are a great family-friendly weeknight dinner, but they’re also a super-easy way to feed a crowd for game-days or other parties, too. Make a big batch, layout all of the toppings and let everyone make their own tacos. Add a pitcher of margaritas and you have a party!
This recipe needs to be in your dinner rotation! It’s so easy you’ll want to make it every week.
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel and click the bell icon to be notified each time a post a new video!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1.25 oz packet low-sodium taco seasoning
- 16 oz jar salsa
- Taco Toppings: Corn or Soft Shell Tortillas and optional toppings such as: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes or pico de gallo, shredded cheese, chopped avocados or guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce, cilantro for garnish
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a greased slow cooker.
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on top of chicken breasts.
- Pour salsa over the top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When the chicken is done cooking shred with two forks or bear claws in crock pot. Stir to mix all ingredients together.
- Serve on corn or soft shell tortillas and top with favorite taco toppings.