Light, refreshing summer lunch recipe! These Cucumber Sandwiches are so easy to make and the perfect idea for bridal and baby showers, Mother’s Day, Easter or tea! This finger sandwich is the perfect party food, picnic idea or easy snack.
A cream cheese dill spread on bread with fresh sliced cucumbers in between the bread make each bite delicious!
Fresh and light cucumber sandwiches are a super easy cold sandwich recipe that is great for so many occasions.
Showers, parties, picnics, and luncheons… they are always delicious! Soft bread with creamy dill cream cheese filling and fresh cucumber slices is just the perfect combination.
What are Cucumber Sandwiches?
They are tea sandwiches that originated in the United Kingdom. There are variations, but they are usually made with crustless white bread, some kind of spread like butter or cream cheese, and sliced cucumbers.
They’re dainty and pretty with the contrast of green from the cucumber and the white bread. For this reason, they are great for celebrations like baby showers and bridal showers.
My version has a whipped cream cheese and mayo filling flavored with fresh dill. The combination of flavors is so good!
- Thinly sliced white bread – A soft loaf works best for this recipe!
- English cucumber – This type of cucumber has fewer seeds and a sweeter, less bitter flavor than regular cucumbers. It’s great for these sandwiches!
- Cream cheese – leave it out at room temperature, so it’s softened.
- Mayonnaise – Don’t substitute Miracle Whip unless you want a sweeter flavor to the sandwich.
- Minced fresh dill – Definitely use fresh dill and not dried.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make the Filling
Beat the cream cheese in a mixing bowl until it’s fluffy. Stir in the mayonnaise, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir until the mixture is well mixed and creamy.
How to Assemble the Sandwiches
Peel the cucumber and thinly slice it.
Trim the crusts off the bread slices and discard them.
Spread some of the cream cheese mixture on all of the pieces of bread. Top one piece of bread with sliced cucumbers, and then place another piece of bread on top.
Slice the sandwiches in half diagonally to make triangle-shaped sandwiches, garnish them with chopped dill, and serve!
Make-ahead tip: If you want to make them ahead, be sure to add a layer of cream cheese on the bottom piece of bread and the top piece of bread. It will keep the cucumber from leaching too much liquid that can make the sandwiches soggy. I wouldn’t make them more than a day in advance.
Bread tip: You can create fun shapes by using cookie cutters to cut the bread. They don’t have to be triangles! If you opt to make shapes, cut the bread first and then assemble the sandwiches.
Storage: The sandwiches are best served freshly made, but keep them in an airtight container if you need to store them. They will keep in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
If you have celebrations and parties planned for this spring and summer be sure to add these cucumber tea sandwiches to your plan! They are a classic and always a hit when I make them.
More Easy Sandwiches
- Homemade Ham Salad makes the best cold sandwiches!
- Classic Chicken Salad loaded with grapes, apples, celery, and walnuts make the perfect sandwich on bread or croissants!
- Deviled Egg Sandwiches taste like a deviled egg but as a creamy, delicious sandwich filling instead.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure to tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your amazing dish!!
- 1 loaf thinly sliced white bread or your favorite
- 1 English cucumber
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ c. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp fresh dill minced plus more for garnish
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy with hand mixer or in a stand mixer.
- Stir in mayonnaise, dill, salt and pepper into cream cheese mixture until creamy and well combined.
- Peel and thinly slice cucumber.
- Cut crusts from bread and cut into triangles or other shape.
- Spread cream cheese mixture onto bread then layer cucumbers on one side of the bread, top with another slice of bread.
- Garnish with fresh dill if desired. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to 24 hours. These are best enjoyed fresh!