Whipped Coffee, also known as Dalgona Coffee, is a quick and easy treat perfect for your morning coffee or an afternoon pick up. It only has 3 ingredients and it’s ready in 5 minutes. Light, fluffy and delicious.
If you’re not on TikTok, you might be wondering what this dalgona coffee is all about, but if you are on it, you already know – this is the drink that everyone went crazy for since last year!
Dalgona coffee, or whipped coffee, is a special drink that is so fun to make. Iced milk is topped with sweetened whipped coffee for a delicious drink that only takes a few minutes to make. It looks like a fancy (and expensive!) cafe drink, but it’s so simple to make.
Why This Recipe Works
- You only need three ingredients plus hot water and ice for this drink.
- It’s made with instant coffee that is sweetened with sugar – this makes it quick and easy to make.
- I’m sharing all the tips, so it turns out great every time you make it.
This is easy enough to make in the morning, but I love to make one in the afternoon. It’s the perfect way to perk up, especially if you add a banana muffin to go with it!
Not into coffee drinks? You should try my whipped hot chocolate, which is inspired by this recipe but doesn’t have any caffeine.
- Granulated sugar
- Instant coffee granules
- Hot water – it doesn’t need to be boiling hot. Steaming hot works fine.
- Milk – any kind of milk will work for this recipe.
How to Make It
Combine the sugar and instant coffee in a mixing bowl.
Add the hot water and then immediately whisk the mixture on medium-high speed for two to four minutes or until it has doubled in volume and is light and airy like a mousse.
Fill a glass with ice and add the milk leaving room to add the creamy coffee.
Scoop some of the coffee mixture and float it on top of the milk. Add a straw and serve right away.
The easiest way to make this drink is with either a stand mixer or hand mixer. You can use a whisk to whip it by hand, but it will take 10 to 20 minutes. With a mixer, it takes less than five minutes.
You can enjoy the drink as its served, or you can stir the creamy whipped topping into the milk. Stirring it definitely dilutes the strong flavor.
You can save the extra whipped coffee. It will keep in the refrigerator for a day or so.
Treats to Go with It
Add one of these sweet treats to go with your drink!
- Pair it with a Cranberry Cream Cheese Muffin or Chocolate Chip Muffin.
- For breakfast, you can’t go wrong with a Cinnamon Roll Muffin or slice of Crumb Cake.
- Or, treat yourself to an Oatmeal Raisin Cookie or White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie for an afternoon snack with your drink.
You need the sugar to whip the coffee so be sure to measure it accurately. The sugar is what gives it structure so if you leave it out it won’t be as fluffy and will collapse.
It is strong, but stirring it into the milk will dilute the strong flavor.
You can, but it will be more difficult (and take longer) to whip the mixture. The sugar is what gives it structure so if you leave it out you may not get the same fluffy result.
Yes, leave out the ice and heat the milk, and serve it in a heat-proof glass.
Keep it in a container in the refrigerator and it will keep for a day or so. It will start to collapse, so it’s best to use it up within a couple of days.
If you love coffee drinks you will love sipping on this one! There’s a reason it went viral – it’s fun to make and even better to drink!
More Coffee Recipes
Looking for even more ways to get your caffeine fix? Here are a few more of my favorite recipes you have to try!
- Learn how to make the best Cold Brew at home. I love to make it when it’s hot outside.
- Affogato is an Italian dessert drink made with espresso and ice cream. It’s so easy and so good!
- Dress up your morning brew and make Christmas coffee! This is a super-easy way to give it a holiday twist.
- Irish Coffee is great as an after-dinner drink. It’s sweet, spiked with whiskey, and topped with whipped cream for a cozy hot drink.
- Treat yourself to a White Chocolate Latte without going to the cafe! It’s easy to make your own at home.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp instant coffee granules
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- 1 c. Milk any type will work
- Ice for serving
- In a medium bowl or stand mixer bowl, combine sugar and instant coffee. Add the hot water to mixture. Immediately whisk on medium-high speed until it is light and airy. It should double in volume and be a shiny and smooth mixture with a mousse-like structure. This will take about 2-4 minutes. You can also use a whisk if you don’t have a mixer but it will take at least 10 minutes and up to 20 minutes to get the same result.
- Fill a glass with ice and pour milk over ice. Using a rubber spatula or cookie scoop top the milk with the whipped coffee mixture. Serve immediately with a straw.