Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies with double the chocolate for all of you chocoholics out there! Rich, fudgy chocolate cookies that are loaded with peppermint flavor, chocolate chips and topped with crunchy peppermint candies for the ultimate Christmas Cookie!
Christmas baking is so much fun, but it can be difficult to find a good Christmas cookie recipe. These double chocolate peppermint cookies fit the bill and never fail to impress!
In fact, these might just be the perfect cookie to leave for Santa! Bake these chocolate peppermint cookies, and place them on your favorite Christmas plate next to a big mug of Homemade Eggnog to leave for Santa. Gotta keep jolly old Saint Nick fueled on his busiest night of the year!
Why You’ll Love these Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- There are a lot of elements to this cookie recipe, but even so they are easy to make and will yield bakery quality cookies!
- These peppermint chocolate chip cookies are a great way to use up the abundance of candy canes you have around Christmas time.
- Double chocolate peppermint cookies look so pretty, which make them a great gift or dessert to bring to a party!
Ingredients for Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- All Purpose Flour – Using a high quality all purpose flour will result in better cookies.
- Cocoa Powder – The key to our double chocolate in these cookies, making the dough itself chocolatey!
- Brown Sugar – Using brown sugar along with white sugar gives the cookie a more rich flavor.
- Butter – Be sure to soften your butter at room temperature before using. It will mix easier and the cookies will bake better.
- Peppermint Extract – This helps carry the chocolate peppermint flavor throughout the whole cookie. But don’t be heavy handed, a little goes a long way!
- Peppermint Candy – You can crush you own peppermint candy, or use pre-crushed. Use peppermints, candy canes, Andy’s mints, or anything else you can find!
- Vanilla Extract – A touch of vanilla always goes a long way in cookies!
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips are the perfect balance in this already chocolatey cookie! But if you prefer a richer flavor, you can use dark chocolate chips.
- Egg – Room temperature mixes into the batter the easiest!
- Granulated Sugar – Makes the cookie perfectly sweet.
- Salt – Salt actually helps bring out the flavor of chocolate!
- Baking Soda – To help the cookies rise
- Baking Powder – Gives the perfect “puffiness” to the cookies.
How to Make Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
STEP ONE: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a slip mat and set it to the side for later.
STEP TWO: In a medium mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
STEP THREE: In a separate, large, mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the softened butter and brown sugar. Mix until combined. Then add the egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract to the same bowl. Using the mixer, mix until combined.
STEP FOUR: Slowly add the dry ingredients into the large mixing bowl with wet ingredients, mixing as you go. Mix until combined well and then add in the chocolate chips. It is normal for the dough to be really thick.
STEP FIVE: Form 3 inch dough balls and place them onto the baking sheet you previously lined with parchment paper.
STEP SIX: Bake for 7-9 minutes and then immediately add crushed peppermint and extra chocolate chips on top.
Do I have to sift the dry ingredients?
I recommend sifting to break up the cocoa powder and ensure that no clumps are left behind. If you choose to skip sifting, mix the powder in carefully so there aren’t any large clumps.
How to Serve Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- Allow your candy cane chocolate cookies to cool completely before serving.
- These gooey chocolate peppermint cookies will pair well with a big glass of cold milk!
Storage Tips for Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Peppermint chocolate chip cookies will store well at room temperature in an airtight container. They will last about 5 days.
If you plan to stack the cookies in your airtight container, be sure to place a small square of parchment paper between each cookie so that they don’t stick together.
They also freeze great! Just thaw them at room temperature when you are ready to use them. They will stay good in the freezer for up to three months.
- Step up your presentation game by strategically placing peppermint pieces with the red stripes facing up and adding extra chocolate chips on top of the cookies.
- Use a food processor to easily chop up your peppermint pieces and have more consistent sizes.
- If you’re having trouble getting the peppermint pieces to stick to the cookies, try adding some onto the dough balls before you bake the cookies.
Absolutely! You can easily double or triple this batch, just be sure to convert every ingredient properly.
You can easily adjust the servings in the recipe card and the amounts will auto adjust. They might not be perfect due to the computer generated amounts but it will get you close!
Do I need to refrigerate the dough?
Nope, candy cane chocolate cookies are baked immediately! However, if you want to get ahead of the game and make the dough in advance, you can refrigerate it for up to 3 days. Before you bake them, set the dough on the counter for 30 minutes before baking so the cookies will spread.
This recipe is such a perfect combination of peppermint and chocolate! Be sure to add these chocolate peppermint cookies onto your Christmas baking list this year.
Other Christmas Cookie Recipes You’ll Love
- These Christmas Sugar Cookies are perfect for decorating!
- Christmas Cake Mix Cookies are super easy and yummy!
- A festive twist on a snickerdoodle, these Christmas Snickerdoodles are so much fun!
- I love these whimsical Christmas Pinwheel cookies.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened, 1 stick
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy about 3 candy canes or 15 peppermints
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat mat. Set baking sheet aside.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar using on medium-high-speed using an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes, until light and creamy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, then add the egg, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Beat for an additional minute to completely combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined. Then stir in the chocolate chips. The batter will be thick.
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion into 3 tablespoon-sized balls.
- Place cookie dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet at least 2 inches apart and bake for 7-9 minutes, until the top of the cookie has a dry appearance.
- Remove from the oven. Immediately sprinkle crushed peppermints over the cookies. You can also press in additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Leave a Comment