A classic Fried Egg Sandwich is a delicious twist on grilled cheese. It has melted cheese, fried bacon and egg along with ketchup inside toast. It’s so easy to add any twist to it by adding ham, tomatoes, avocados, spinach and more. Make this easy sandwich today.
A fried egg sandwich is super easy to make and perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! It’s basically a cross between egg in a hole and a grilled cheese sandwich dressed up with bacon and cheese – it’s the perfect easy meal when you don’t have much time to cook.
Best Fried Egg Sandwich Recipe!
- You only need one skillet to make this easy sandwich. You can cook the bacon and eggs together – so easy!
- I like to use thick-sliced toasted bread for this recipe – it makes the best fried egg sandwich!
- The eggs and bacon are topped with melted cheese for all the ooey-gooeyness!
Bread: For this sandwich, I recommend using a thick-sliced sturdy bread like Texas toast. You want something that can hold all of the ingredients without falling apart or getting soggy.
Sliced Cheese: Don’t forget to add cheese slices! Cheddar cheese works great, but you can also use Monterey Jack, mozzarella, provolone, pepper jack… basically any good melting cheese that you like!
Ketchup: We love ketchup on our fried egg sandwiches – not a whole lot, just a couple of tablespoons. If you don’t like it, you can swap it for the same amount of mayonnaise or mustard or a combination of both.
All the rest! You’ll need eggs, sliced bacon cut into halves, and some salt and pepper, too.
How to Make It
Toast the bread: Pop the bread slices in the toaster and once they’re done, set them aside.
Cook the bacon: In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until it’s almost crispy. This usually takes about five minutes. Flip it over and then arrange the pieces so they form four squares in the pan.
Fry the eggs: Crack one egg into each square, so it’s in the middle and framed by the bacon. Fry the eggs until they reach your desired doneness, and the bacon is crispy. Right before they’re done, top each egg with a slice of cheese and let it melt.
Assemble the sandwiches: Place each egg and bacon square on a piece of toast. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top. Spread the ketchup (or another topping you like) on the other pieces of toast and place them on top of the eggs to make a sandwich.
Don’t forget to use a sturdy thick-sliced bread for best results!
I love the egg a little runny for this sandwich, but you can cook it to your desired doneness. For a runny yolk, cook it until the whites are completely set, but the center is still jiggly.
If you want it more well done, place a lid over the pan for a minute or two – it will trap the heat and make it easier to cook the yolk until it’s soft and not runny.
Serve your fried egg sandwiches with potato chips for lunch, some crispy potatoes for breakfast, or a bowl of tomato soup for dinner!
Fried egg sandwiches are such a simple thing, but so delicious! The combination of crispy bacon, cheese, and the fried egg is so good. It’s the perfect sandwich for any time of day.
More Sandwich Recipes
- Love a hearty breakfast sandwich? My Southwestern Breakfast Sandwiches are loaded with cheese, bacon, pico de gallo, and guacamole! Add a fried add, and you get an amazing breakfast.
- Learn how to make a classic brunch sandwich: A Monte Cristo! It tastes just like a restaurant version and is easy to make.
- We love to make homemade Reubens! It’s a grilled sandwich with corned beef, cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing – it’s tangy, hearty, and delicious.
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 8 slices Texas Toast or any thick, hearty bread, toasted
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 8 slices bacon halved
- 4 eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until barely crisp, about 5 minutes. Flip the bacon over, pushing two pieces next to each other to form a square, so you have four squares.
- Crack the eggs into the middle of each square. Continue to cook the bacon and eggs until desired firmness. Just before they are done place a slice of cheese over each egg.
- After the cheese has melted, place each egg on top of a piece of toasted bread. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Spread ketchup over remaining slices and place each slice of bread ketchup side down on top of eggs. Serve immediately.