Banana Bars topped with cream cheese frosting that are so soft and tender! This is a trusted family favorite, is no fail and always a hit no matter where you bring it or who you share them with! If you are wondering what to do with your over ripe bananas on the counter this is the answer.
These banana bars topped with cream cheese frosting are a long-time family favorite. I mean, what’s not to love? Tender bars with cream cheese frosting is a match made in heaven! They are always the first dessert to disappear when I make them and it’s probably one of the most requested sweet treats I get from my family right along with my famous Banana Bread!
They are so easy to make and this recipe makes a big batch so it’s a great dessert to make for potlucks and other events just like this Banana Split Trifle. Plus, they go over well any time of the year! So if you have a few overripe bananas laying around I highly recommend trying this recipe out. Everyone loves them when I make them.
This is a quick overview of the recipe’s ingredients and instructions. Please scroll to the bottom of the post for full recipe with detailed instructions!
- Softened butter
- Medium-sized ripe bananas
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Softened butter
- Softened cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
Steps to Prepare
Batter: Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, bananas, and vanilla and mix until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir until combined.
Bake: Pour the batter into a greased 15x10x1″ baking pan. Bake the bars for 25 minutes at 350°F or until they test done. Cool the bars in the baking pan.
Frost: Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl. Gradually add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat well to combine. If you want the frosting a little thicker add more powdered sugar. Spread the frosting over the cooled banana bars. Slice and serve!
You can customize these banana bars with your favorite add-ins or different kinds of frosting! Here are some ideas:
- Instead of cream cheese frosting, try brown butter frosting, peanut butter frosting, chocolate frosting or another frosting that you love!
- Add fresh fruit like blueberries, chopped strawberries, or raspberries to the batter before you bake the bars.
- Or, stir in chocolate chips or white chocolate chips into the batter.
- Add some chopped nuts like walnuts, peanuts, or almonds.
Tips and Tricks!
Here are some quick tips and tricks along with frequently asked questions about this recipe. If you have additional questions please comment below and we will do our best to answer them!
Storage: Once you’ve made and frosted the bars they will need to be kept in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese frosting. They will keep for a few days, but be sure to keep them in an airtight container. You can also freeze the bars (even if they’re frosted!) for up to two months. Just be sure to tightly wrap them.
How long do Banana Bars last? They’ll keep well for a few days in the refrigerator or up to two months in the freezer!
How to Freeze: If you want to freeze these all you do is wrap them tightly and pop them in the freezer. They will keep for up to two months. When you want to serve them, allow enough time to thaw them in the refrigerator.
These are always a hit! They’re such a great way to use up those ripe bananas, but if you’re looking for more banana recipes be sure to check out a few more of our favorites!
Got Ripe Bananas?
- With only pantry staples this tender, delicious Banana Bread might be the BEST EVER! Freezes great!
- Tender, fluffy banana bread loaded with chocolate! Double Chocolate Banana Bread will cure that chocolate craving!
- Loaded with healthy ingredients Chocolate Banana Baked Oatmeal Cups will fill you up and keep you full, plus a little chocolate to fix your sweet tooth too!
- Loaded with flavor from mashed bananas and white chocolate chips then topped with brown sugar and slivered almonds make this Banana Coffee Cake perfect for a coffee hour treat, snack or dessert!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please! Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day!
If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your delicious creations!!
Banana Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 2 c. sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, bananas and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bars test done. Cool.
- For the frosting cream butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Beat well. If you want it thicker add a littler more confectioners’ sugar. Spread over bars.