This classic potato salad is the Best Ever Potato Salad! Tender potatoes and hard boiled eggs make this traditional potato salad the BEST basic potato salad recipe around!
Who’s with me on the fact they love, love, love potato salad, but they are super duper picky about potato salad? Come on…I know you want to raise your hand! This potato salad is a delicious classic recipe with the basics. It’s a great jumping off potato salad recipe that you can add your favorite add-ins too. Tender potatoes, hard boiled eggs in a classic potato salad makes it the best potato salad ever!
I love it, but I grew up on the kind that was from the deli at the grocery store. Then my sister-in-law came into our family and wowzers can her mom make a mean potato salad. I mean she bribes me to family events by telling me that her mom is bringing her potato salad. It’s that good people.
Then I married my hubs. I was blessed with his grandma that also makes an amazing potato salad. Then I got jealous. I mean I’m a blogger who can’t make a potato salad! What’s this about it? I need to fix this or you will all disown me.
Since I was little my mom instilled a potato salad fear into me. She told me it was so hard due to her fear of it. I think the main reason we have this fear is all these people that just throw a little bit of this, a dash of this and a scoop of this into the potato salad. Not much help for us newbies is it? Nope. None at all.
Then I got my hands on my husband’s grandma’s recipe and I was bound and determined to make it. I informed my mom we were going to attempt this feat at the lake this past weekend. Then she let on that she had went and watched my sister-in-law’s mother make potato salad and wrote down the approximate measurements. Now I knew we could do this!
Potato Salad with Egg
So we tackled the potato salad. We took both recipes and went from there. Why is it so much easier to do scary things like this when you have someone else to look at as they test they taste test and go from there? I may have made fun of my mom that she was that scared of some potato salad and it took her this long to try it! She then told me that she hated failure and always wanted to get things right on the first try so this is why it intimidated her so much. Hmmmm guess we know where I got that from!
We tackled it, we dominated it and we enjoyed it! If you also have a grandma that never wrote her recipe down this is for you! Good luck! I’m going to add that this recipe is totally adaptable. If you want some onions add them, or if you don’t like eggs don’t add them. Want it sweeter? Add some more sugar. Like it with more mustard. Knock yourself out!
How to Make Potato Salad
First thing is to peel and dice your potatoes! Then throw them in a stick pot and cover them with water. Bring it to a rapid boil and the boil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool potatoes.
While the potatoes are cooling whisk whipping cream for 1 minute then add Miracle Whip, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar. Mix until combined.
Pour the dressing mixture over the cooled potatoes.
Please and dice three hard boiled eggs. Add to potatoes and stir to combine. Gently!!
Tips for the BEST Ever Potato Salad
- Make sure you boil your potatoes until just tender, over tender potatoes will crumble when you mix everything together.
- I use Miracle Whip, but feel free to change it out to mayonnaise if you prefer. Go for the full fat version for best results.
- If you’d like onion, add in 1/2 c. sweet onion finely diced.
- Another great addition if you like pickle relish is adding in 1/2 c. sweet pickle relish.
- Many people like to add in 1 Tbsp celery seeds or 1 tsp celery salt. You can even finely dice a few stalks of celery if you want that crunch!
- I’ve also seen fresh chopped dill added to create another flavor profile.
Like I previously mentioned, this is a classic, basic potato salad recipe. If you want to create different flavor profiles please feel free to add in the ingredients mentioned above to suite you taste buds. This is a great potato salad to jump off from and make it your own!
More Potato Salad Recipes
- Roasted Red Potato Salad
- Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- German Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
Grandma’s Potato Salad
- 5 lb red potatoes
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 c. Miracle Whip
- 3/4 c. whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 c. white vinegar
- Peel and dice potatoes. Place in large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to rapid boil, turn down to medium heat and boil 5-7 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes and let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk whipping cream for 1 minute. Stir in Miracle Whip, mustard, sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar. Mix until combined.
- Pour mixture over cooled potatoes. Peel and dice three hard boiled eggs and add to potatoes. Mix until combined.
- Peel last three hard boiled eggs and slice and place on top of salad.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly cooled.