These Grilled Tex Mex Quinoa Stuffed Peppers are a healthy protein packed, delicious and easy weeknight meal for your family!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Hi there! I’m Jessica and I blog at Jessica in the Kitchen, where I share healthy, delicious vegetarian recipes. It’s so great to be over on Julie’s Eats & Treats this week sharing one of my favorite spring/summer recipes.
Today I’m here to prepare you for the upcoming summer season! Can you believe it’s so close?! What better way to celebrate outdoor weather than a grilling recipe. My Tex Mex Quinoa Stuffed Peppers originated from my favorite burrito bowl recipe, except stuffed into a bell pepper. Following that thought, I’ve started to notice a trend in how I cook; I always tend to reach for Mexican flavors! My recipe preparation process in general tends to be on the spot and influenced by what I’m feeling for that day, so in preparing today’s recipe the first thing I did before even heating up the grill was to grab a can of black beans.
Being vegetarian means I do eat beans a lot to ensure I get all of my protein, and with quinoa also being a great protein source, you can ensure that you’ll not only be absolutely satisfied after this recipe (sandals on feet and outside on your lawn of course), but you’ll keep nice and full for a while, while knowing you had a great healthy meal.
Now, to the Stuffed Peppers. This recipe comes together very quickly and easily; prepare the quinoa, mix in the additions of your choice (beans, corn, tomato, onions and seasonings), add delicious cheese, put in the stuffed peppers and add them to the grill or your oven. I tried the recipe both ways so that I could provide you with a detailed recipe, and I’m happy to say they’re absolutely delicious. Quinoa is my favorite grain and I find not only is it a great base for the add-ins, but that is absorbs the Mexican seasonings in this recipe really well. The cheese is of course, as always, the cherry on top.
What I love the most about this recipe is how customisable it is. The meat eaters in my family add chicken to it, you can add a bit of barbecue sauce to the filling for some extra summer flavor, and you can pretty much add or subtract any of the add-ins to your liking. The pepper itself becomes softer but still firm and was divine with every bite. This recipes makes so much that you can serve a large crowd all at once or look forward to some delicious leftovers!
Grilled Tex Mex Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6-10 bell peppers (the size of your bell peppers will determine how much filling you use. You can refrigerate any excess)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- If you're using your oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. If you're using your grill, ensure it's on.
- Slice the tops off of the bell peppers, and score the insides, removing all the seeds and insides. Set aside.
- Mix the quinoa with the corn, beans, onion and tomatoes until thoroughly mixed. Add all of the seasonings and stir until mixed. Add in the cheese into the mixture.
- Stuff each of the peppers with the mixture, packing them tightly.
- Place in a greased casserole (in oven) or onto the grill.
- If in oven, bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. If on your grill, cook on high with the lid closed for 10 minutes.
- Feel free to add some extra cheese on top. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2929kcal Calories from fat 686|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 76g||117%|
|Saturated Fat 38g||190%|
|Dietary Fiber 91g||364%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Things You May Need for This Recipe!
Connect with Jessica Here!