Easy no bake Haystack Cookies only take 20 minutes to make! Crunchy chow mein noodles and marshmallows coated in a delicious butterscotch. An easy no-bake cookie that are so delicious.
Haystack cookies are a classic butterscotch treat that’s so easy to make! You only need four simple ingredients to make a sweet snack that is always a crowd hit. Make these for any gathering, or even theme them for holidays and parties.
You can turn these haystacks into a “birds nest” simply by adding a few robin egg candies to the top. Or, you can make a farm themed birthday party and keep these butterscotch haystacks as is! An easy and fun themed treat.
I especially love making these around Christmas time. I’ll fill a Christmas cookie platter with freshly made cookies, plus hot chocolate cookie cups, Christmas pinwheel cookies, and monster cookies. I like to do a variety of different flavors, and haystack cookies are always a hit!
Why You’ll Love Haystack Cookies
- Since these are a no bake cookie, you can conserve your oven space for other baked goods during the holiday season and keeps your house cool during the summer.
- It only takes 20 minutes to prep a delicious batch of these cookies.
- These are a great make-ahead cookie since they need an hour to rest and store very well.
Ingredients for Butterscotch Haystacks
- Chow mein noodles – I know, I know…chow mein noodles in a cookie recipe? Trust me! When you add the butterscotch chips and peanut butter, it’s the combination of flavors and textures. Plus, chow mein noodles are just plain so they won’t interfere with the flavor profile of this no-bake cookie!
- Butterscotch chips – This is what creates the classic flavor of these easy no bake cookies! Be sure you grab a bag large enough for one full cup of butterscotch chips.
- Peanut butter – Smooth peanut butter will produce the best results. You can use crunchy if you prefer…it could add another fun texture into the mix!
- Mini marshmallows – The squishy marshmallows alongside crunchy chow mein noodle is to-die-for. I love a treat that combines good textures!
How to Make Haystack Cookies Recipe
Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then set it aside. Pour the butterscotch chips and 1/2 a cup of peanut butter into a microwave safe bowl.
Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds, stop and stir, and then repeat until completely melted and smooth.
Add the chow mein noodles to the butterscotch and peanut butter mixture, and gently fold the noodles in until combined. Then, add the marshmallows and stir until thoroughly distributed.
Drop the completed mixture by spoonfuls onto the lined baking sheet.
Let the cookies set for at least an hour at room temperature. If you want to speed up the setting process, carefully place the baking sheet in the refrigerator or freezer until each cookie is set.
How to Store Haystack Cookies
Haystacks cookies can be store at room temperature, in the refrigerator, or even frozen.
FRIDGE: Place cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. If your home tends to stay warm, I recommend you store them in the refrigerator.
FREEZER: Store them in an airtight container or freezer bag, and keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Make your butterscotch haystacks chocolatey by using half butterscotch chips and half chocolate chips. You can use milk chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, or dark chocolate. Try your hand at milk chocolate too!
You can also add candy to these easy no-bake cookies! Things like M&M’s, Reeses pieces, or even chunks of toffee candy. Add in nuts, such as chopped pecans, walnuts, or peanuts.
If you can’t find chow mein noodles, or don’t want to use them, you can make these cookies with pretzel sticks! They may not “stack” as well as the chow mein does, but they’d work well and be just as tasty.
- You can easily theme this dessert for any holiday by adding colorful sprinkles to the top of each haystack.
- When microwaving the butterscotch and peanut butter, if it is not fully melted after 30 seconds then microwave again in 10 second increments. Do the increments so that you can watch it closely and you don’t burn it.
- Use a silicone spatula when stirring in the chow mein noodles and marshmallows. You’ll have less of the mixture stick to the spatula and you can stir more easily.
These crunchy and sweet cookies are always so addictive, I can’t eat just one!
More No Bake Recipes You’ll Love
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars are one of my kids favorite treats! And they’re so easy to make, I don’t mind whipping up a batch when they ask for them.
- Looking for a yummy on-the-go snack? These No Bake Oatmeal Raisin Energy Balls are perfect! Great to throw in lunches or bring to the park as an easy snack.
- Step up dessert and make a fancy No Bake Key Lime Cheesecake. Way easier to make than a classic cheesecake and just as delicious.
- No Bake Peppermint Cheesecake is a Christmas favorite. It’s refreshing and perfectly creamy all-in-one!
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 5 ounces chow mein noodles
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl combine butterscotch chips and peanut butter..
- Microwave ingredients for 30 seconds, stir and repeat until completely melted.
- Add the chow mein noodles to the peanut butter mixture. Stir until combined then add the marshmallows and stir to combine.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Let cool at room temperature or place in the refrigerator or freezer to speed up the process.