Ditch the box mix and make Beer Bread from scratch with this easy and delicious recipe! This quick bread only has six ingredients and can be whipped together in a bowl with a spoon. We love dipping it into dip because it’s a dense bread and holds up well. The crust is the best part!
Nothing is better than homemade bread, right? Whether it’s this tasty beer bread recipe or even some yummy homemade breadsticks, the whole house smells great when it’s baking. However, homemade bread takes forever, right? Well, not necessarily! This classic beer bread is quick and easy to make.
I love the texture of this hearty bread. It’s slightly dense, yet still moist, fluffy and absolutely delicious. I love dipping it into my favorite dips since it’s hearty enough! This easy bread is a fabulous snack, appetizer and even side dish. Make it whenever you have a craving for homemade bread but want it to be done quickly!
Why You’ll Love this Beer Bread
- This classic beer bread is only six simple ingredients. There’s not too many ingredients and it only takes about 5 minutes of prep time.
- Beer bread is hearty and perfect for dipping. It’s great for an appetizer platter with delicious dips!
- There is no yeast in this recipe, so even the most inexperienced bakers can make this recipe. There is no kneading or rising time either!
Ingredients for this Beer Bread Recipe
- Flour – For best results, I recommend using a high quality all purpose flour.
- Sugar – Using sugar will help to slightly sweeten this classic beer bread. You can use honey to sweeten it if you prefer!
- Baking powder – Baking powder will act the rising agent that helps make the bread fluffy and light.
- Salt – A bit of kosher salt is just the thing to balance out the flavor of this easy beer bread.
- Beer – Grab your favorite beer to use in this bread. The darker the beer the more beer flavor that the bread will have.
- Butter – I use salted butter, but unsalted works just a well.
How to Make Beer Bread
Before mixing up the bread dough, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Add the all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and mix well. Then add the beer and mix it into the dry ingredients.
Place the completed dough into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan, then pour melted butter over the top.
Then put the bread into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes until the middle has cooked through.
Allow to cool in the loaf pan for a bit and then remove the bread from the pan to cool completely.
How to Store Leftover Beer Bread
Place leftovers into an airtight container and store at room temperature for 2-3 days. You can also freeze beer bread! Just wrap it in plastic cling wrap and then aluminum foil and place in a freezer resealable bag for up to 6 months. To thaw remove from freezer and let come to room temperature on the counter. We like to reheat the slices in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.
What to serve with beer bread
This classic beer bread goes great alongside a hearty stew, soup or chili to dunk in. You can also simply top it with plenty of butter and jam or honey. Serve this tasty bread as a side for pot roast or chicken too!
Soups like cabbage vegetable soup and broccoli cheese soup would be tasty with this beer bread too. It’s a great side dish for hearty proteins like ham balls or crock pot turkey breast, it’s even great for swedish meatballs.
What can I add to beer bread?
There are a few different variations you can make with this beer bread recipe! A few ideas are:
- Garlic – Mince a few cloves of garlic and mix into the batter for a garlic flavor.
- Cheese – Add in a cup of shredded cheese to the batter. This could be any type of cheese like cheddar or pepper jack.
- Herbs – Mince some fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme. Dried herbs will also work. Just add either into the batter.
- Spice – Want a kick to your beer bread? Add in sliced jalapenos or green chilies and cheddar cheese for a fun twist.
Pro Tips for the Best Beer Bread Recipe
- If you don’t have any beer on hand, or prefer not to use beer, ginger ale is a fabulous substitute.
- You can use a toothpick to check the center of the loaf of bread to make sure it is done!
- I recommend mixing the dry ingredients before adding the beer so that you can ensure they’re well combined before they get all sticky.
Beer bread is a classic for a reason! This easy peasy bread has so many different uses.
More Bread Recipes You’ll Love!
- Copycat Macaroni Grill Rosemary Bread is a family favorite for pasta night.
- Dessert or breakfast? Apple Pull Apart Bread is delicious anytime.
- A slice of English Muffin Bread toasted with jam is the perfect way to start the day.
- This Garlic Bread is just perfect for pasta night and all of your Italian favorites!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces beer (you can substitute ginger ale)
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder salt and beer. This will be sticky. Do not overmix.
- Place batter in a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Pour melted butter of the bread dough.
- Bake bread in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.