Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries ~ Make Your Own Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe Perfect for Christmas and the Holidays!
Memories. They are a great thing aren’t they! As I get older they get a little bit more treasured every year. I also try to focus on creating them for my kids. These Chocolate Covered Cherries made me reminisce about Christmas as a child. You see, no one like them but my Dad and I, so we always fought over them! Not sure why we fought, as there were plenty to go around. We always ate the ones from a box, but I had to try to make my own this year! They weren’t nearly as hard as I had it in my head they would be, just took a bit of time and planning! You just take a Maraschino Cherry, roll it in a powdered sugar mixture and dip it in chocolate almond bark!
The hardest thing is just waiting to let them sit up between the rolling in powdered sugar and dipping. Also, these are best if they sit for two weeks, but I dug right into a few and thought they were great too!
Tips for Making Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries!
- Dry off cherries on paper towel, blotting to remove as much juice as possible.
- Keep fondant mixture cold, if your hands start to stick to it, rinse your hands in cold water!
- Refrigerate cherries wrapped in fondant before you dip them in chocolate!
- Use Chocolate Almond Bark instead of chocolate chips to dip them because it’s easier to work with!
- Refrigerate for two weeks or longer, before enjoying for the best results!
Let’s talk about those Christmas memories and traditions! What memories do you have?
Every year my Grandma would give me a Hallmark granddaughter ornament. To this day they are so treasured, I get excited every time I go to decorate the tree. What is even more fun is that my kids are getting ornaments from my Mom now and they get all excited about it too! We have a whole tree full of Hallmark ornaments.
Miss K is like, “Mom! Mom! Can I get my box out of ornaments, you know the ones that are just MINE?”
When you have two other siblings, having a special thing that is just yours is pretty exciting! I can relate!
Ingredients Need to Make Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries!
- Powdered sugar
- Butter, softened
- Almond extract
- Maraschino cherries with stems , well drained
- Chocolate almond bark
Go grab the ingredients to make these Easy Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries and start creating your own memories!
I assure you they are even better than the store bought ones!
Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries
Make Your Own Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe Perfect for Christmas and the Holidays!
- 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 jars (8 oz each) maraschino cherries with stems , well drained
- 1 (24 oz) package chocolate almond bark
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, butter, milk and almond extract. Mix until combined. Knead into a large ball.
- Roll into 1 in. balls and flatten into a 2 in. circle. Wrap around cherries and tightly roll in hands.
- Place covered cherries on waxed lined baking sheet with stems pointing up.
- Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Melt the almond bark and shortening in microwave according to package directions.
- Holding on to stem, dip cherries into chocolate, set on waxed paper to harden. Store in a covered container.
- Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 2168kcal Calories from fat 1238|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 138g||212%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||105%|
|Dietary Fiber 33g||132%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe Slightly Adapted from Taste of Home