Tender, juicy hot sandwiches that are a quick and easy meal! It starts with a roast that’s slow cooked in your Crock Pot all day long with seasonings, pepperoncini peppers and beef broth. Shred it and then pile it onto Hoagie buns with Provolone cheese and peppers for a delicious dinner!
Super easy Italian beef sandwiches for you today! Tender slow-cooked beef piled on rolls and topped with cheese and tangy pickled veggies is a dinner your family is going to LOVE!
I don’t know what it is, but my kiddos love it when we have hot sandwiches for dinner. We love our French dips, Rachels, Reubens, and hot ham and cheese sandwiches! Add some potato chips or French fries as a side and everyone is really happy.
These hot Italian sandwiches are our new favorite and it’s a really easy dinner. Just put everything in the crockpot and leave it to simmer. When it’s time for dinner just assemble the sandwiches!
These sandwiches are hearty, filling and perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. The flavors are amazing!
Italian Beef is an EASY Crockpot Dinner!
You can easily prep this recipe in about 10 minutes in the morning and leave it all day!
You will need a chuck or rump roast which is perfect for slow cooking in the crockpot. As it cooks, it will turn juicy and tender – perfect for shredding and piling on rolls!
For the seasonings you will need:
- Sliced onions
- Onion powder and garlic salt
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Italian seasoning
- Seasoned salt
- Beef broth
Did you know you can also use a packet of Italian Dressing Mix if you want to go that route?
Place the roast in the slow cooker and place the onions on top. Sprinkle the seasonings over the top and add the pepperoncini plus some of the juices from the jar and the beef broth.
Cover with the lid and cook the beef for 8 to 10 hours on low.
Once it’s done, just shred the beef and give it all a good stir. Next step: all the toppings!
Pile the shredded beef on split rolls and top with:
- A slice (or two!) of provolone cheese
- Sliced pepperoncini
- Giardiniera (this is a mix of pickled vegetables – look for it in the pickle aisle!)
Can I just tell you how delicious these are! I love the combination of savory beef with pickled vegetables. They’re so good everyone will think you worked all day in the kitchen, but it’s all done with the crockpot!
Make this Recipe for Meal Prep!
You can easily prep and cook the Italian beef ahead of time and then portion it out for easy dinners or lunches during the week!
Just cook the beef as instructed, cool it, and then portion it into containers. When it’s time to eat warm it up in the microwave or on the stovetop!
The beef will keep well for three to four days – just keep the toppings and buns seperate and assemble when you’re ready to eat!
Can I Make this in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can! I use the same cut of beef for my French dip sandwiches so follow those instructions in that recipe, but just swap out the ingredients for the Italian beef!
You’ll combine all the ingredients in your Instant Pot instead of the Crock Pot then cook for about 100 minutes (1 hr 40 minutes) on the Meat/Stew function. Let it naturally release for 25 minutes, then shred and put on sandwiches with toppings.
Add this recipe to your dinner plan this week! I promise your family will love these sandwiches!
Store the leftover shredded beef in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Another option is to place in a freezer bag and a freezer safe continer then freezer for up to 30 months.
Here’s some great options to use up the leftovers!
- Shepherds Pie
- Beef Pot Pie
- Breakfast Hash
More Italian-Style Crockpot Dinners
- Your family will love this comforting Chicken Cacciatore, my version of Italian hunter’s stew made in the slow cooker! It’s healthy and so delicious!
- Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan is a quick and easy take on traditional Chicken Parmesan! Breaded chicken topped with cheese and sauce is a dinner everyone will love!
- My copycat Zuppa Toscana is just like the original but lightened up! It has the same great flavor from sausage, potatoes and cheese but less calories.
- Italian Meatballs are super easy to make in a slow cooker. Serve them with pasta or as an appetizer for parties!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 3-4 lb chuck or rump roast
- 1 large onion sliced
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 oz pepperoncini peppers (peppers reserved for topping)
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 6 Provolone cheese slices
- 6 Hoagie buns
- Pepperoncini Peppers (that were reserved)
- 8 oz Giardiniera
- Place roast and onions into the slow cooker and sprinkle with seasonings.
- Drain peppers, reserving juice for beef. Set aside the peppers for topping.
- Add 2 tablespoons pepperoncini juice, and beef broth to the crock pot. Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on low or until the roast is fork-tender. Remove roast from slow cooker and shred with a fork.
- Place shredded roast back into the cooker and let stand for about an extra 30 minutes to allow the meat to absorb more flavor.
- Slice buns in half and spoon shredded meat on to the bottom bun. Top with provolone cheese and reserved pepperoncini peppers. Garnish with Giardiniera.
- Did you know you can also use a packet of Italian Dressing Mix if you want to go that route. Just skip the seasonings this recipes calls for and use a packet of dressing mix for a shortcut.