Need a party appetizer? Make delicious Jalapeno Poppers that are always a hit and the first to go! Slice fresh jalapenos in half, fill with a cheesy cream cheese filling and top with a crispy Panko topping then baked until golden brown. The ultimate game day snack with the perfect mix of spicy, cheesy and crispy!
The best appetizer recipe for you today! Jalapeno poppers are so easy to make, so delicious, and the perfect party food. We make them for almost every game day, and I always make a double batch because they disappear fast!
Cream cheese stuffed jalapenos topped with panko are the ultimate combination of creamy, cheesy, spicy, and crispy! They’re just as good as a restaurant version and a lot less expensive. If you want an easy snack, this is the one to make.
Why This Recipe Works
- This is an easy recipe – prep the peppers, mix up the cheese, fill, and top with panko.
- Jalapeno poppers in the oven is my favorite way to make them. The topping gets really crispy, and the peppers cook until they are crisp-tender.
- I’m sharing my tips for picking the best peppers and how to prep them so you can make the best poppers.
Here are my tips for buying and prepping jalapenos:
- The thing about fresh jalapenos is that they get spicier as they age. So, ones that have darker, wrinkled skins will be hotter than ones that have smooth skins.
- Try to buy peppers that are approximately the same size, so they bake evenly.
- When you are ready to prep the peppers, I recommend wearing gloves. Jalapenos have capsaicin, which can get on your skin. If it’s on your hands and you touch your eyes, it will burn. Gloves make a big difference!
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and then use a spoon or to scrape out the ribs and seeds. Once you’ve done this, you can stuff them and bake them!
Filling and Topping
The filling is a combination of cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, and garlic powder. It’s topped with a simple panko and butter topping. The crispy topping with the cheesy filling is so good!
How to Make Baked Jalapeno Poppers
Mix: In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, green onion, garlic powder, and shredded cheddar. In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and panko
Stuff: Fill each jalapeno half with the cheese mixture and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the panko mixture over the top of each popper.
Bake: Place the baking sheet in a 400°F preheated oven and bake the jalapeno poppers for 18 to 20 minutes or until the panko is golden and crispy.
Cool: I like to let them cool for about five minutes before serving. That way, they’re not too hot.
Make Ahead Tips!
Prep Filling in Advance: You Can mix the cream cheese filling together and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When you would like to enjoy the jalapeno poppers stuff them with the cream cheese filling, top with panko mixture and bake.
Assemble in Advance: Stuff poppers with the cream cheese filling but skip adding the panko. Stir in a single layer in an airtight container or place a sheet of parchment paper between layers and refrigerator.
When ready to bake prep panko mixture, top the poppers and bake according to directions. They make take a few minutes longer because they are cold when you start.
Serve These Snacks with Poppers!
If you want to serve several appetizers with your jalapeno poppers here are some that go great with them:
- Make a batch of homemade Salsa and Guacamole. Don’t forget the chips!
- My Ranch Dip is perfect with chips or dunk your poppers in it – they go really well together.
- We love Potato Skins, too, and they go great with the poppers!
Homemade jalapeno poppers are a party classic or make them whenever you’re craving that spicy, cheesy combo! They’re so delicious warm from the oven – they’ll be a hit when you make them!
More Hot Appetizer Recipes
- Try my Grilled Pineapple Shrimp Bites flavored with BBQ seasoning and sauce, then grilled to perfection!
- Want the flavors of poppers in a dip? My hot Jalapeno Popper Dip will satisfy the craving!
- Everyone loves Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Bites – simple to make and so delicious!
- Learn how to make a Blooming Onion, and it will be the hit at your next party!
- You only need two ingredients to make a batch of Pigs in a Blanket!
Did you love this recipe? I knew you would! Rate it, please!! It would be awesome if you’d give it a five-star rating below!
If you snap any photos, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!
- 10 jalapeno peppers
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 green onion minced
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ c. Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Wearing gloves, slice jalapenos in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon scoop out the seeds and membranes from the inside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, green onion, garlic powder and cheese.
- Fill jalapenos with cheese mixture and place on a lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combine Panko crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle on top of jalapeno poppers.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before serving.