Fruity cocktail that’s quick and easy to make! A Malibu Sunset cocktail is a delicious blend of pineapple and orange juice plus coconut rum and grenadine that’s layered to look like a sunset!
This Malibu sunset drink is about to be your new favorite cocktail! It’s so easy to make, looks amazing, and is one of our favorite party drinks to share with friends.
We love entertaining whether it’s on our back deck or at the lake during the summer, so I always like to have a fun and fruity cocktail to make. A Malibu sunset is a great option – all you need are some delicious snacks to go with it! We love some ranch pretzels and chips and salsa with this yummy drink.
Easy Cocktail Recipe!
This classic alcoholic drink gets its name because it looks like a beautiful sunset in a glass. It’s a layered cocktail which is how the effect is created!
It’s a combination of coconut rum, fruit juices, and a splash of grenadine. The combination of flavors just tastes like summer and the colors are gorgeous.
You don’t need a shaker or other bar tools – just glasses and a stirrer!
It’s a quick and easy drink recipe and it’s one of my favorite summer mixed drinks. If you love a tropical cocktail, you have to try it!
What is a Malibu Sunset?
It’s a layered cocktail that’s made with pineapple juice, orange juice, coconut rum and grenadine.
It gets it’s name because when you layer the ingredients they form the gradient of the sunset colors similar to the Tequila Sunrise.
- Pineapple juice
- Orange juice
- Coconut rum – We prefer Malibu which is actually closer to a coconut liqueur than a rum.
- Drink garnish: maraschino cherries, pineapple slices, or orange slices
How to Make a Malibu Sunset
Place ice cubes in a tall cocktail glass.
Pour the pineapple, orange juice and coconut rum over the ice and stir until combined.
Slowly drizzle the grenadine down the side of the glass. Do not stir – if you do, it will ruin the sunset effect.
Garnish the drink with maraschino cherries, pineapple chunks or orange slices.
Can I make this a large batch cocktail?
If you want to make a big batch, you can mix the pineapple juice, orange juice, and rum in a large pitcher ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the drinks.
Use the recipe card to adjust the servings and mix it in a large pitcher to serve to your guests!
You may want to omit the ice and serve it over ice in glasses so it doesn’t get watered down before you serve it.
How do I layer a Malibu Sunset Cocktail?
For the best layered effect, don’t stir the drink after you add the grenadine. It sinks to the bottom creating the pretty presentation.
This cocktail is best enjoyed as soon as it’s made!
Pair It with These Snacks!
If it’s happy hour, you need some snacks to go with your Malibu sunset! Here are some favorites you have to try:
- Chips and guacamole are always a favorite!
- Tex-Mex shrimp wontons are great for sharing with friends.
- Make a batch of grilled corn salsa to scoop up with tortilla chips!
- Or browse all of my favorite appetizers for even more ideas.
Make this Malibu sunset cocktail the next time you’re thirsty for a delicious cocktail! No matter what time of year it is, it will transport you straight to a summer’s day. It’s so good!
More Rum Drink Recipes
- A Mai Tai is another tropical drink that’s fruity, refreshing, and pretty to look at, too!
- You’ll feel like you’re on vacation when you make an Ocean Breeze! This blue mixed drink is beachy and delicious!
- A Blackberry Mojito is a twist on a Classic Mojito and is perfect when you want a cold and refreshing rum drink to sip on.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 2 ounces coconut rum we use Malibu
- 1 Tablespoon grenadine
- maraschino cherries, pineapple chunks, and/or orange slices for garnish
- Place a few ice cubes in a tall Collins style cocktail glass.
- Then pour the pineapple, orange juice and coconut rum. Stir until combined.
- Slowly drizzle the grenadine down the side of the glass. Do not stir.
- Garnish with maraschino cherries, pineapple chunks and/or orange slices.
- Serve immediately.
- Don’t stir the cocktail after grenadine is added. It’s meant to settle which gives this cocktail it’s famous sunrise/sunset layers.
- If you want to make a big batch, you can mix the pineapple juice, orange juice, and rum in a large pitcher ahead of time. Keep it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to make the drinks.
- This cocktail is best enjoyed as soon as it’s made!
Leave a Comment