This homemade lasagna recipe is my Mom’s recipe so you know it’s delicious! Plus, it’s quick and easy with an amazing flavor. It’s full of ground beef, onion, spices, cottage cheese and Mozzarella cheese. It’s been passed through our family and is still our go-to recipe. It will become that weathered, tattered recipe card that your family will smile when they see.
The hardest part of making this lasagna with cottage cheese is removing it from the oven and letting it rest after it bakes because the aroma makes you want to dig in immediately! If you prefer to substitute the cottage cheese with ricotta cheese you can.
Pair this comfort food recipe with a simple tossed salad and bread sticks. I love to make this ahead of time when entertaining then just placing it in the oven before guests arrive. Make sure you add 15 minutes onto the baking time if you do this because it starts off cold!
This is a quick overview of your shopping list! Scroll down for complete recipe with step by step instructions!
- Ground beef – You could also use ground sausage or a mixture of both.
- Yellow onion – Grab the frozen diced onions and skip the chopping.
- Seasonings – A mixture of garlic, dried parsley, garlic salt, salt and oregano is going to give this it’s delicious flavor.
- Tomato sauce
- Lasagna noodles – Make sure to prepare these before putting in the lasagna.
- Cottage cheese – If you prefer ricotta cheese you can substitute that. Ricotta cheese will give it a more creamy and richness. Cottage cheese is chunkier due to the curds and lower in fat.
- Eggs – Make sure to beat these before adding to the cheese mixture.
- Cheeses – Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese combine to give it that ooey gooey cheese that you love!
Steps to Prepare
- Prep – Grease a 9×13 inch pan, preheat the oven.
- Make Sauce – Combine hamburger, garlic, 1 Tbsp parsley flakes, garlic salt, oregano, tomato sauce in a large pan and simmer 30 minutes.
- Mix Cheeses – Meanwhile in a large bowl combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, parsley and Parmesan.
- Layer – When the meat mixture is done simmering spread 1/2 c. of mixture on the bottom of the pan. Put a layer of prepared noodles on then top with half of meat mixture and cottage cheese mixture then half of Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layer except leave off the Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake – Place in preheated oven and bake until the sauce is bubbly and cheese browned.
This casserole has quite a bit of cheese and liquid. Allowing to rest 15 minutes or so will firm it up and square will be easy to slice and serve! Better yet? Lasagna that’s made the day before is even better! So if you can, make it ahead of time!
First tip is to make sure you lasagna noodles are drained properly before layering. Do not rinse them after cooking!
Did you let it sit? That will help to thicken it.
Other ideas is to drain the cottage cheese before you mix it in or simmer the sauce longer to remove extra water content.
If you plan on hosting a party and serving this or having it on a busy weeknight make it up to two days before hand, store it in the refrigerator and bake when you are going to serve it. Remember to add 15-25 minutes onto the bake time because it will be cold when you place it in the oven.
The leftovers might even be better than fresh out of the pan!
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure to let the lasagna cool off and then put it in an airtight container with a cover and store in the refrigerator.
To heart individual servings place the lasagna on a microwave safe plate and warm. Start with a minute, remove and stir, then reheat in 30 second increments until warmed through.
If you have a large portion to reheat cover pan with foil and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. Heat until bubbly and warmed through.
To Freeze: Double or triple the recipe and you’ll have meals in the freezer! Make sure to seal it tightly and it will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To Use: Remove the night before you plan to bake it and let it defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Then place in preheated oven at 350 degrees and bake according to directions. Add 15-25 minutes to the cook time because it will be cold when you place it in the oven.
Individual Servings: If you want to freeze individual portions cut the baked and cooled casserole into personal servings. Place each slice in a piece of foil and wrap tightly, then place all slices in a freezer storage bag. Place in freezer for up to a month. When ready to use let a piece thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a microwave safe dish. Great for lunches!
More Twists on Lasagna!
- Love Tex Mex? Put a little kick in your favorite recipe with Mexican Lasagna!
- Not home to prep dinner? Try this Crock Pot Lasagna that will be ready when you come home for dinner!
- If you are looking for a quick way to make lasagna try this Skillet Lasagna recipe!
You’re going to love this delicious comfort food! It’s really one of our favorites. And leftovers on day two? Even better!
Snap a pic so I get to see it and tag me @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats – it’s so good, I know you’ll love it!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef browned
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp dried parsley flakes divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 4 cans tomato sauce 8 oz , each
- 6 lasagna noodles prepared
- 22 oz cottage cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 lb shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large frying pan combine hamburger, onion, garlic, 1 Tbsp parsley flakes, garlic salt, oregano, tomato sauce and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, 2 Tbsp parsley flakes and Parmesan cheese.
- When the meat mixture is done simmering spread 1/2 c. of mixture on the bottom of prepared pan. Place three prepared noodles side by side on top of meat mixture so they don’t overlap. Top with half of meat mixture, half of cottage cheese mixture then half of Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layer except leave off the Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.