This homemade lasagna recipe is my Mom’s recipe so you know it’s delicious! Plus, it’s quick and easy with an amazing flavor. It’s full of ground beef, onion, spices, cottage cheese and Mozzarella cheese. It’s been passed through our family and is still our go-to recipe. It will become that weathered, tattered recipe card that your family will smile when they see.
The hardest part of making this gooey lasagna with cottage cheese is letting it rest for 15 minutes after you remove it from the oven! The aroma that fills the kitchen will make you want to dig in immediately. Seriously, this is the best lasagna recipe ever. The perfect balance of noodles, meat, and cheese and the most incredible flavor.
Pair this classic comfort food with a simple tossed salad and bread sticks. This homemade lasagna recipe is a great meal to serve when hosting guests. I guarantee they’ll be asking for your recipe once they taste how amazing it is! Just point ’em to this blog and everyone can share in the delicious comfort of warm cheesy noodles loaded with a flavorful tomato meat sauce.
Why You’ll Love Lasagna
- Not only can you make it ahead of time, but it often tastes better that way! Just remember to add 15-25 minutes onto the bake time because it will be cold when you place it in the oven.
- One pan makes 12 hearty servings! This is a fabulous meal to serve to dinner parties and large families.
- Leftovers reheats really well, so it’s perfect for your meal prep rotation. You can reheat leftovers in the oven and the microwave.
Ingredients for this Easy Lasagna Recipe
- Ground beef – You could also use ground sausage or a mixture of both if you prefer.
- Yellow onion – Save a minute or two and grab the frozen diced onions to skip the chopping.
- Tomato sauce – Trust me, plain tomato sauce is all you need! The rest of these ingredients will season it well and add extra flavor.
- Lasagna noodles – Follow the instructions on the package and prepare the noodles before using them in the lasagna.
- Cottage cheese – If you prefer ricotta cheese you can substitute that. Ricotta cheese will give it a more creamy texture and rich flavor. Cottage cheese is chunkier due to the curds, but it is lower in fat.
- Eggs – Make sure to beat the eggs before adding them to the cheese mixture.
- Parmesan cheese and mozzarella – Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese combine to give it that perfect ooey gooey cheese filling that you love!
- Seasonings – A mixture of tasty seasonings is going to give this recipe it’s delicious flavor:
- Minced garlic
- Dried parsley
- Garlic salt
- Dried oregano
How to Make Lasagna
Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
To make the sauce, cook ground beef until no pink remains. Drain and add minced garlic, dried parsley flakes, garlic salt, dried oregano, tomato sauce to a large pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
While the beef mixture simmers, combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, parsley, and parmesan cheese in a large mixing bowl.
When the meat mixture is done simmering spread 1/2 cup on the bottom of the previously prepared baking dish. Place a layer of prepared noodles on then top with half of the remaining meat mixture and half of the cottage cheese mixture, then half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, but leave off the Mozzarella cheese.
Place the it into a preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and top the it with mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 10 more minute until the sauce is bubbly and cheese has browned.
What to Serve with this Easy Lasagna Recipe
This amazing Italian dish is best paired with classic sides like a crunchy green salad and flavorful garlic bread. You could make some simple sides like asparagus or zucchini fries in the air fryer too!
Adults can add a glass of chilled wine to their meal for those added bonus points of a nice meal!
How to Store Leftover Lasagna
FRIDGE: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Make sure to let the it cool completely and then place it into an airtight container with a cover and store in the refrigerator. You can also tightly wrap the baking dish in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
FREEZER: You can freeze leftovers or freeze an entire pan that is unbaked. Double or triple the recipe and you’ll have meals in the freezer!
Place leftover individual portions into airtight containers or wrap tightly in foil and place in a freezer safe bag. Freeze for up to one month, allow to thaw in the fridge overnight.
Unbaked lasagna can be frozen in a baking dish, tightly wrapped, for up to 3 months. Same with baked lasagna! Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge and bake or reheat in the oven the next day.
How to Reheat Lasagna
To reheat individual servings, place the them on a microwave safe plate and warm. Start with a minute, remove and stir, then reheat in 30 second increments until warmed through.
If you have a large portion to reheat cover pan with foil and place in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat until bubbly and warmed through.
Why is my lasagna watery?
If you end up with watery lasagna, here’s a few things to try next time. Make sure you lasagna noodles are drained properly before layering and do not rinse them after cooking! You cottage cheese also may need to be drained before mixing it in, or you could try simmering the tomato beef mixture a bit longer.
However, sometimes, it just needs to sit for a bit! Let the dish sit as it cools, and some of the moisture may soak into the noodles.
Why do you let lasagna sit?
This casserole has quite a bit of cheese and liquid. Allowing to rest 15 minutes or so will firm it up and the squares will be much easier to slice and serve! Better yet, lasagna that’s made the day before often tastes even better! So make it ahead of time if you are able!
- Use some spicy Italian sausage or red pepper flakes in the sauce mixture to give your lasagna some kick!
- Feel free to use fresh herbs instead of dried. Just keep in mind that fresh herbs often have a stronger flavor, so you may need to adjust the amount used.
- Don’t skip greasing your baking dish! This will help keep the edges of the lasagna from sticking.
More Twists on Lasagna that You’ll Love
- Love Tex Mex? Put a little kick in your favorite recipe with Mexican Lasagna!
- Not home to prep dinner? Try this Crock Pot Lasagna that will be ready when you come home for dinner!
- If you are looking for a quick way to make lasagna try this Skillet Lasagna recipe!
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is a hearty soup, perfect for chilly evenings!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 4 cans tomato sauce 8 oz, each
- 6 lasagna noodles prepared
- 22 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 pound shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown the hamburger of over medium heat. Drain off any excess grease.
- Add the onion, garlic, 1 Tbsp parsley flakes, garlic salt, oregano, tomato sauce to the skillet and simmer 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, 2 Tbsp parsley flakes and Parmesan cheese.
- When the meat mixture is done simmering spread ½ c. of hamburger mixture on the bottom of prepared pan. Place three prepared lasagna noodles side by side on top of meat mixture so they don't overlap. Top with half of meat mixture, half of cottage cheese mixture then half of Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layer except leave off the Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.