Decadent Peppermint Cheesecake is an easy no-bake holiday dessert that can be made ahead! The dark chocolate crust pairs perfectly with the light, fluffy chocolate cheesecake topped with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy.
We are all about the peppermint recipes during the holidays! This peppermint cheesecake is always a favorite, but don’t forget to check out our peppermint bark, too!
Why You’ll Love This Cheesecake Recipe for Christmas
- This is an easy no bake chocolate cheesecake dressed up with festive peppermint candies. I just love the peppermint-chocolate combination – it just tastes like Christmas.
- It’s the perfect holiday dessert – make it for Christmas day or any time during the holiday season when you need an amazing chocolate dessert.
- The combination of the Oreo crust, chocolate cheesecake filling, and peppermints is so good. It’s a cold and creamy treat everyone will love.
Ingredients for No Bake Peppermint Cheesecake
- Dark Chocolate Oreo Thins – These make the best chocolate crust, but you can also use Thin Mint Oreos or regular mint Oreos. For an extra minty crust, add a 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract.
- Melted salted butter – If you have unsalted butter just add a pinch of salt when you melt it.
- Softened cream cheese – For the best filling, leave the cream cheese out at room temperature for about an hour before you make the recipe.
- Cocoa powder – The perfect chocolate taste for the cheesecake filling.
- Granulated sugar – To sweeten the cheesecake.
- Sour cream – Use full-fat sour cream for the best flavor and richness.
- Whipped topping – I like to use Cool Whip, but you can use homemade whipped cream, too.
- Peppermint candy – You can use round candies or candy canes. Place them in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
How to Make No Bake Peppermint Cheesecake
Oreo Cookie Crust: Pulse the cookies in a food processor to break them down into crumbs. Add the melted butter and pulse to combine. Press the crust mixture into the prepared pan and chill it while you make the filling.
Chocolate Cheesecake Filling: Beat the cream cheese, cocoa powder, and sugar in large bowl. Beat in the sour cream and then fold in the whipped topping until combined. Spread the filling in the prepared pan.
Topping: Spread more whipped topping over the top of the cheesecake filling.
Chill: Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate the cheesecake for at least four hours. If you are short on time, you can freeze it for one hour.
Decorate: Before slicing the cheesecake, sprinkle the crushed peppermints over the top.
Tips for the Best Peppermint Cheesecake
- Cream cheese: Full-fat cream cheese works best in this recipe and it needs to be softened. If you try and beat it when it’s cold, you will end up with a lumpy filling.
- Mixing: Be sure to scrape down the bowl while you mix the filling. This will ensure all of the ingredients are fully combined.
- Decorating: Don’t add the peppermint candy until you’re ready to serve the cheesecake. They will melt and stain the whipped topping if you add them too early.
- Chilling step: This cheesecake needs time to set up, so, ideally, it should be chilled overnight in the refrigerator. At the very least, it will need four hours. You can speed up the process and freeze it for an hour and then transfer it to the fridge until you’re ready to serve it.
Can you freeze no bake peppermint cheesecake?
Yes, after you add the whipped topping you can freeze this cheesecake for three months. You can freeze it whole or freeze individual slices. Let it thaw in the fridge before you serve it.
How should you store no bake cheesecake?
Leftover peppermint cheesecake should be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep well for three to four days.
Peppermint cheesecake is the best way to get a taste of Christmas this year! I hope you try and and love it as much as we do. Enjoy!
More Christmas Dessert Ideas
- Christmas Poke Cake is a super easy holiday cake! It’s made with cake mix and Jello for a fun and festive treat.
- Grasshopper Pie is another minty dessert that is perfect for the season.
- Make a batch of Soft Sugar Cookies for those fun cookie exchanges!
- Gingerbread Poke Cake is a spiced cake with white chocolate. It’s always a hit!
- 13 ounces Dark Chocolate Oreo Thins 1 package
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter melted, ¾ stick
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened, 1 1/2 8 ounce packages
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 16 ounces whipped topping divided
- ⅓ cup peppermint candies crushed
- Place the Oreos in a food processor and process until completely crumbled.
- Then pour the melted butter into the food processor and pulse until combined.
- Transfer Oreo mixture to a 9 inch springform pan and press the crumbs firmly into the bottom.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to chill while making the cheesecake filling.
Chocolate Cheesecake Filling
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, cocoa powder and sugar with a hand or stand mixer until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl once or twice with a spatula while mixing to get all ingredients well blended.
- Add and beat in the sour cream until combined and smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of whipped topping to mixture and gently fold until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.
- Scoop the cheesecake filling into the prepared crust and gently spread into an even layer.
- Clean the sides of the pan, wiping off any extra cheesecake smears, and then spread the remaining whipped topping onto the top of the cheesecake in an even layer.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour or refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, remove the plastic wrap and the outer rim of the pan and sprinkle the top with the peppermint candies.