Need a quick and easy dinner? Chicken Alfredo is the answer, plus you make it in one pot! It’s loaded with garlic and has an easy homemade Alfredo sauce. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner recipe that everyone will love.
Chicken Alfredo used to be one of my favorite dishes to order when we’d eat out at our favorite Italian place but not anymore! I still love it, but it’s so much cheaper to make at home and it’s even better than restaurant versions!
It’s also super easy – like, one-pot easy! Once you try this one pot chicken Alfredo you’ll see what I mean – it has all the rich and creamy pasta with tender chicken without all the mess or time and money spent going out. You’re going to love it!
It’s All About the Creamy Cheese Sauce!
I mean, it’s chicken Alfredo – it has to have an amazing sauce and my recipe does. It’s a combination of cream cheese and grated Parmesan that melt together in a milk and flour mixture. Add some chopped garlic and you get the perfect velvety Alfredo sauce!
I like to use bowtie pasta for this recipe, but you can substitute another short pasta shape. Depending on what you use you may need more or less cooking time for the pasta.
Because the sauce is so rich and creamy, I prefer using boneless, skinless chicken breasts because they’re leaner. You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs but they have more fat.
All of it – the chicken, pasta and sauce are cooked in one pan for easy clean-up. The best, right? I love it when I don’t have a pile of pots and pans to clean-up after dinner.
How to Make Chicken Alfredo in One Pot
- Prep & Cook Chicken – First, cut any excess fat from the chicken breasts and then cut them into 1″ cubes. Cook the chicken in olive oil over medium heat until it’s cooked through. Remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Deglaze Pan – Add more olive oil to the pan and cook the garlic in it for a few minutes. While you’re stirring it around scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. It will add lots of flavor to the sauce.
- Make Sauce – Add the flour and stir to combine it with the oil and garlic. It will form a paste that will help thicken the sauce once you’ve added the liquids. Slowly add the chicken stock to the pan, whisking continuously. There shouldn’t be any lumps of flour – the mixture should be smooth. Add the seasonings and then cook the sauce until it starts to thicken.
- Simmer – Once the sauce has thickened, add the uncooked pasta. Simmer it in the sauce for 13 to 16 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Combine – Add the cream cheese into the sauce in small pieces along with the Parmesan cheese and stir until all of the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook it in the sauce just until it’s warmed through.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve!
Side Dish Ideas!
If you want to add a side here are a few that go perfectly with chicken Alfredo:
Sometimes I add a healthy veggie on the side, but sometimes we go for the breadsticks – they’re perfect for soaking up all that creamy, cheesy sauce!
This easy Alfredo pasta is one of our favorite dinners – you won’t miss the restaurant versions after you try it! A comforting pasta dinner made in one pot is my idea of a perfect weeknight dinner – I know you will love it! Try this easy homemade Alfredo sauce recipe can be made in minutes and pairs with your fettucine perfectly.
Want more easy dinner recipes? Be sure to check out these recipes, too!
- Shrimp penne pasta is a 30-minute dinner! Shrimp with a rich garlic sauce and pasta is so comforting and delicious.
- My taco pasta is another easy one-pot dinner that is so easy to make!
- Instant pot hamburger helper is another dinner my family loves. It’s hearty, comforting and ready in no time at all!
- Unstuffed Chicken Alfredo Shells – Creamy, Delicious Casserole with Layers of Garlic Alfredo Sauce, Pasta and Chicken!
Try it and love it? Rate it, please!!!? Seriously though a five-star rating below will make my day! If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 c. bowtie pasta uncooked
- 2 oz reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley for granish
- Remove any fat from chicken and cut into 1” cubes.
- Place 1 Tbsp olive oil and chicken pieces in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the chicken pieces are cooked through. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to skillet. Heat until warm and add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add in flour and briskly whisk until dough forms.
- Slowly add chicken broth while whisking vigorously. Whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk while continuously whisking. Whisk in seasoned salt and pepper and allow to thicken over medium low heat.
- Stir in uncooked pasta, tun up heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook for 13-16 minutes, stirring occasionally or until pasta is cooked through.
- Cut cream cheese into bite size pieces. Stir into pasta along with Parmesan cheese. Add chicken and heat through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.