Memorial Day is right around the corner which means I like to sport some Red, White and Blue for sure!
This cake is dedicated to my Grandpa “Boots”. He was a wonderful man and I always get a smile on my face whenever anyone talks about him. The memories of him are few and far between as he passed when I was only 4 years old. Every day I wish he he was here to watch my baby grow up and see me become the woman I am. I just know that he was smiling down from heaven the day I got married. You see I married a good old “Hancock” boy and boy oh boy would that make him smile. For those of you who needs a reference I’m from the town of Morris and a few miles away there is a town named Hancock. I hail from small town USA so this means you are loyal to your hometown. Grandpa Boots was from Hancock…they grow them good there.
Why am I dedicating this to my Grandpa Boots? He served in WWII so I thought it was fitting. Every Memorial day the family heads back to Hancock to attend the Memorial Day service at the cemetery where my Grandpa was laid to rest. It’s always a wonderful ceremony that brings me to tears. Every year they read the “roll call” of all the veterans from the area. This gives me goosebumps especially when I hear Clarence “Boots” Wiese. There is nothing that makes me prouder.
So while you are enjoying your holiday festivities and long weekend please remember why and what we are celebrating. I thank each and everyone of the veterans that have served our nation and their families. Without you and your sacrifices my family would not be able to enjoy all the freedoms we do.
Now onto that poke cake that is so festive! It’s so easy because it starts with a boxed cake mix, throws some jell-o in and then using a can of frosting on the top with a few sprinkles. Sure you can get all fancy on me and make a homemade cake and homemade frosting but who’s got time for that? Not me!
Make sure you don’t miss any of the fun stuff Julie’s Eats & Treats is up too!
Patriotic Poke Cake
- 1 box (15.25 oz) Pillsbury white cake mix + plus ingredients to make cake
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) strawberry Jell-o
- 1 (12 oz) container Pillsbury white frosting
- 1 oz blue food coloring
- Patriotic colored sprinkles
- Prepare cake according to the directions on the box using a 9x13 inch pan. Cool.
- Using the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes into the cake about a 1/2 - 1 inch apart.
- Boil 2 c. water. Add jello to boiling water, remove from burner and stir approximately 2 minutes or until jello is dissolved. Pour jello mixture over poke cake. Refrigerate 2-4 hours or until jello is set.
- Mix blue food coloring and frosting together in a bowl. Remove cake from fridge and frost with blue frosting. Sprinkles with patriotic colored sprinkles.
|Serving Size||1 piece|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 244kcal Calories from fat 66|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 7g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This recipe may be shared on the following sites – Please give them a visit!
Our Delightful Home | Mandy’s Recipe Box | Lil’ Luna | Semi Homemade Mom | Weekend Potluck | Six Sisters’ Stuff | Pint Sized Baked | Flour Me With Love | Chef In Training | Inside BruCrew Life | Couponing & Cooking | High Heels & Grills | Buns In My Oven | Chocolate, Chocolate and More | Kitchen Meets Girl
Looking for more Poke Cakes?