Pumpkin Breakfast Quinoa with Maple Whipped Ricotta – This breakfast quinoa is mixed with pumpkin and creamy, maple whipped ricotta for a quick, easy and gluten free breakfast!
It growled. I assumed that was “tummy speak” for ALL THE QUINOA ON PLANET EARTH PLS.
So, I made one cup of it. A DRY one cup of it. ALL FOR ME.
In a small pot. So small that I only ever use it to boil ONE egg. ONE. O-N-E. And we all know an egg is pretty darn small. Also pretty darn delicious.
BUT, that is neither here nor there.
I think you can guess what happened next.
1. I had quinoa everywhere. Pretty sure it was even on my ceiling. I mean, quinoa is all the rage right now, it’s only natural to start interior decorating with it right?
Don’t answer that.
2. I was not able to eat ALL the quinoa. Because, upon cooking, I realized that I was in deep trouble.
An “oh-no-I-thought-I-was-only-making-one-serving-but-i-made-more-like-4-and-now-i-am-going-to-be-eating-quinoa-forever-because-i-just-cant-eat-that-much-at-once” kind of deep trouble.
At first I was depressed. That means leftover quinoa for breakfast for 3 days. Instead of my beloved blueberry cheesecake oatmeal.
And nothing gets between this girl and her oatmeal.
BUT THEN something awesome happened. And by “awesome” I mean that I added in some pumpkin and creamy, maple-y whipped ricotta cheese.
WEE-OO WEE-OO <— that’s the sound of an ambulance coming to revive me after I died from yum-overload.
And, from that day on I deemed quinoa no longer just for dinner.
Move over oatmeal, there’s a new breakfast kid in town.
And his name is Quinoa. Creamy Pumpkin KEENWA.
Pumpkin Breakfast Quinoa with Maple Whipped Ricotta
For the whipped ricotta:
- 1/4 Cup Reduced-fat Ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp Reduced-fat Cream cheese
- 1/8 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Truvia or granulated sweetener of choice
For the quinoa:
- 2 Cups Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 8 Whole Cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Cup Uncooked quinoa
- 2 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice
- 3/4 Cup Canned pure pumpkin not pie filling!
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 Cup Unsweetened almond milk sweetened to taste with Truvia
- Pecans for garnish *
- To make the whipped ricotta:
- In a small food processor, combine all ricotta ingredients and blend until smooth and well combined. Transfer to a small bowl and place in the refrigerator to set for at least to hours.
- For the quinoa:
- Soak the quinoa in a large pot of water, rubbing the grains together with your fingers until the water appears cloudy. Strain the quinoa and set aside.
- Combine the 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon sticks, cloves and a pinch of salt in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the quinoa, cover and turn the heat to low. Boil until most of the milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir in the pumpkin pie spice, canned pumpkin and maple syrup.
- Divide the mixture between bowls and pour the Truvia-sweetened almond milk over top. Then, dollop on the whipped ricotta.
- Sprinkle with fresh cinnamon and garnish with pecans,
Goat Cheese and Quinoa Crusted Chicken – Quick, easy, healthy and gluten free! Goat cheese and red peppers complete this weeknight-friendly meal.
Quinoa Salad with Cherries, Pistachios and Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette – Sweet, crunchy and has a little bit tangy! It’s super healthy, gluten free and makes a quick and easy weeknight dinner!