Quinoa and Tofu Stir-Fry is a healthier version of regular stir-fry that’s still packed with flavor and is an easy week night dinner!
Quinoa is a staple in my household – it is so versatile and it’s so delicious on it’s own or when paired with other ingredients. I’m a big fan of stir-fry but wanted a fresh and healthier take on it so I used quinoa and what resulted was a completely delicious surprise! This stir-fry tastes just like your regular stir-fry since quinoa mimics rice almost equally, and is loaded with fresh vegetables sautéed until flavourful.
I wanted to keep this as close to possible as traditional so I subbed tofu as the meat element and also added eggs. We made this tofu twice in one week because we loved it that much. My favourite part would definitely be the tofu since it crisped up nicely, then the carrots which were soft and filled with flavour. I would definitely recommend this for a week night dish since it’s very easy to put together and can serve as a side or a main dish. One thing I would definitely recommend is to use quinoa that’s been sitting in the fridge for at least a day – just like day-old rice it works much better in stir-fry.
Quinoa and Tofu Stir-Fry
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 block pressed tofu sliced into small wedges
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 large carrots shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 spring onions sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons liquid aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- Over medium heat, place a plan with a teaspoon of oil to heat. Break the eggs into the pan, scrambling them and cooking them until just barely cooked. Scrape into a clean bowl and set them aside.
- In the same pan, add another teaspoon of oil and add the tofu. You want it to cook on all sides, stirring occasionally, until golden-brown. Increase heat to medium-high and add another teaspoon of oil to the pan. Sear the tofu on all sides, stirring only occasionally and cooking until the tofu is golden-brown on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the tofu and set aside in another bowl.
- Add two teaspoons of oil into the pan, increase the heat to medium high, and add in the quinoa, stirring to coat it and heating it for a few minutes until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, two tablespoons of soy sauce and one tablespoon of rice wine, and garlic into the rice and stir to combine. Add the shredded carrot and stir, allowing to cook until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next add in the peas until warmed for about 2 minutes, then stir in the eggs, tofu and the spring onions.
- Add extra soy sauce to taste if needed and remove from heat. Serve immediately.
Quinoa and Corn Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing – a hearty and delicious salad!