Red Velvet Cake Trifle ~ Red Velvet Cake Loaded with Toasted Coconut, Chocolate Chips and a Light and Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting!
This little treat was born from an epic fail.
It was the day I finally decided to conquer my cake roll fear.
Conquer I did not. In fact I failed miserable. I was totally optimistic and I baked that cake roll and then read Dorothy’s Cake Roll Instructions and went about my business. I patiently waited for my cake roll to cool. Before I decided to unroll the fateful cake roll I mixed up my cream cheese frosting because I wanted to be prepared to conquer this itty, bitty cake roll that left a feeling of fear in my gut.
The move that brought my world down around me was the unrolling of the cake roll. Crack. Crack. Crack. Crap.
Now what? As I brushed my tears away and admitted defeat there was no way I was going to let a perfectly tasty Red Velvet Cake go to waste my friends. Conquer I still would it just might not be in the way I dreamed of.
That’s when these amazing little Red Velvet Cake Trifles were born straight out of my kitchen. As I glanced around I saw toasted coconut left over from my “Baked” Toasted Coconut Red Velvet Donuts from earlier in the day and I knew that had to be in the recipe. And of course chocolate chips because I mean chocolate chips make everything better right?
There sat my big bowl of AMAZING cream cheese frosting, but it was just to heavy and thick for my trifle. I wanted something with more of a light fluffy texture and then I remembered I had some Cool Whip in my fridge. Light bulb moment my friends. Now my frosting was lighter and a little more fluffy.
So I decided to start assembling my trifles. Of course then I samples one them. And then disassembled one and maybe two because holy wow they were amazing.
Someday I will battle the Cake Roll again.
I’m not sure when.
For now I will bury my sorrows in these trifles.
Red Velvet Cake Trifle
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 1 (1 oz) bottle red food coloring
- 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. cake flour
- 1/4 c. baking cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cream Cheese Whip
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c. Cool Whip
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a jelly roll (15 in x 10 in ) baking pan with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs on high for 3 minutes. Add sugar gradually while beating. Beat until mixture becomes thick and lemon colored. Add food coloring, buttermilk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- In a bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Fold into egg mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool. Cut cake into small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip.
- In 6 wine glasses or one trifle bowl place a layer of cake on the bottom. Add a layer of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle chocolate chips and coconut on top. Repeat.
- Enjoy immediately or store covered in refrigerator.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 501kcal Calories from fat 244|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 27g||42%|
|Saturated Fat 15g||75%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|