Red Velvet Cookies are soft, chewy and stuffed with chocolate chips and topped with cream cheese frosting! They freeze great and are perfect for your Christmas cookie trays, a sweet treat for Valentine’s Day or just because!
If you’ve ever had red velvet cake I know you’re going to love these Red Velvet Cookies. They are rich chocolate cookies with that distinctive tangy flavor and beautiful red color.
I have my favorite things to make every year for Christmas. For example, I like to make Molasses Cookies and my famous Soft Sugar Cookies. Don’t forget this amazing Sugar Cookie Frosting that hardens! but I also like to make a few unexpected treats like these.
They are soft, cake-like and have a surprise of chocolate chips in them. If you are looking for a different kind of Christmas cookie this year add these to your list!
I’m looking forward to cozy winter nights and everything else about the holidays! Maybe it’s these soft cookies with pillowy dollops of cream cheese frosting? I’m telling you – you’ll want to make these for Christmas, Valentine’s Day or any old day you have a cookie craving!
What ingredients do I need?
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious cookie recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- Unsweetened baking chocolate
- Softened butter
- Brown sugar
- White sugar
- Baking soda
- Red food coloring
- Sour cream
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to make the Cookies
Step by Step Photos Below!
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments stopping to stir in between each interval until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together until smooth. Add the baking soda and mix until combined. Add the salt and egg and mix again until smooth. Add the food coloring and mix until the batter is an even color.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the melted chocolate and stir until well combined. Add half of the flour and all of the sour cream and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the rest of the flour and stir until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Using a tablespoon, drop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the them for 11 minutes at 350°F or until they are puffed up and firm. Cool them on a wire rack.
What Ingredients do I need for Cream Cheese Frosting?
- Softened butter
- Softened cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
How to make the frosting
Step by Step Photos Below
- Mix the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until smooth and creamy. (Photo 1)
- Add the powdered sugar and mix to combine. (Photo 2 & 3)
- Depending on how thick you like your frosting you may want to add more powdered sugar. Just add a little at a time until the frosting reaches your desired thickness.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cookies. (Photo 4)
What is inside Red Velvet?
What is Red Velvet flavor?
It has a rich chocolate flavor but with a tangy note from buttermilk or, like I did with these, sour cream. Every recipe is different and the chocolate flavor may be lighter or stronger.
Is Red Velvet chocolate?
It is a type of chocolate cake. The “red” part comes from red food coloring that is added to the batter, but the flavor is chocolate with a tanginess from the buttermilk. For these cookies, you get a double-dose of chocolate in both the cookie dough and the chocolate chips that are baked inside them!
More easy cookies!
Here are a few of my other favorite cookies that are quick and easy to make!
- Soft Sugar Cookies – No chill dough that is a soft, drop sugar cookie!
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies – Soft, chewy and delicious. They are loaded with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts!
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies – Soft, chewy and start with a muffin mix!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
I’d love it you would rate this recipe!! A five-star rating will make my day!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
Red Velvet Cookies
- 2 one ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 c. butter room temp
- 2/3 c. brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/3 c. white sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp red food coloring
- 3/4 c. sour cream
- 2 c. flour firmly packed
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unwrap squares of chocolate and put them in a microwavable bowl. Melt in microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Add baking soda and salt. Beat for another minute or until well mixed. Add the egg and beat until it is well mixed. Add red food coloring and mix until well incorporated.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Scrap sides of bowl. Mix in one cup flour. Mix in sour cream. Add the rest of the flour and mix well. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon sized cookies onto a greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies for 11 minutes or until they rise and become firm. Cool on wire rack.
- For the frosting mix butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add powered sugar. Adjust powdered sugar for desired spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookies.
- Store cookies in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
- These are also freezer friendly perfect for freezing for the holidays. Place in an air tight container and then place in freezer for up to 3 months.