Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is a simple, easy dessert perfect for spring and summer! Tart rhubarb paired with sweet strawberries that are baked on top of a streusel crust until they are bubbling in their own juices. The finishing touch is an amazing crunchy oat streusel topping. We love serving it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Today I was outside planting my flowers while my hubby was working on the garage. Yes we have started another project at the Evinks! We are onto building a garage.
Of course because we are sooooo lucky we have already found difficulties with it…
Our lot slopes about two feet in the backyard which equals a LOT of gravel to build it up. We are talking FIVE loads of gravel! So he was busy leveling out the gravel while I was working on the flowers.
During this time I noticed that I have an abundance of rhubarb. I’ve been busy making Rhubarb Pie, Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie and Rhubarb Crunch, but then decided there was just enough left to make one more dish – this super yummy Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp!
This is my mom’s recipe and I’m telling you it’s a melt in your mouth to die for dessert that I can’t wait for you to try!!
It has both strawberries and rhubarb and it’s especially great topped with ice cream and served warm and fresh out of the oven. I tried it today with cool whip also.
Both options are delicious, but I recommend the warm with ice cream approach!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
If you aren’t lucky enough to have rhubarb growing in your backyard, watch for it in the grocery store soon! It’s harvested in the spring and early summer. Look for long, plump stalks.
If you are harvesting it yourself remember to leave the leaves since they are poisonous. Crazy, huh?
Nothing says spring around here like fresh rhubarb desserts. I will travel miles to get this delicious rhubarb dessert when I hear that my Mom is baking it!
Ingredients Needed to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
- brown sugar
- butter melted
How do you thicken a strawberry rhubarb crisp?
Cornstarch works really well to thicken this crisp recipe.
Do you have to peel rhubarb?
Not at all, the outside of the rhubarb is tender and there is no need to peel it.
How long will this last?
If it doesn’t get gobbled up right away, refrigerated leftovers will last 4-5 days.
How to make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon; stir in butter.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- Mix rhubarb, strawberries and sugar in a large saucepan; let sit for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch and vanilla. Cook and stir until thickened. Pour over crust; top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is crisp and golden.
More of my favorite dessert crisp recipes!
- Apple Cranberry Crisp
- Nectarine Blueberry Crisp Recipe
- Grilled Caramel Apple Crisp
- Apple Pear Crisp
- Easy Strawberry Crisp
I know you’re going to love this recipe, rhubarb is such a treat in the spring! Be sure and comment below with a five-star rating so I get to hear what you think!!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures!!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS STRAWBERRY RHUBARB CRISP RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe
- 1 c. flour
- 3/4 c. oatmeal
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c. butter melted
- 3 c. rhubarb
- 3 c. strawberries
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Mix together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon; stir in butter. Press half of mixture into greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Mix rhubarb, strawberries and sugar in a large saucepan; let set for 2 minutes. Stir in cornstarch and vanilla. Cook and stir until thickened. Pour over crust; top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.