Sausage & Black Eyed Pea Chili – A hearty dinner idea filled with ground beef, black-eyed peas, corn, diced tomatoes, and breakfast sausage! It’s quick, easy, and delicious!
I’m convinced I make the best menu plan for the week when I’m starving. That’s when I love to flip through my cookbooks and magazines the most. Everything always looks so good! I feel completely inspired and could pretty much eat anything.
This also applies to our choice in Sunday dinner ideas. My husband and I are pretty sure we must decide what we are eating that night before we go eat breakfast after church. If we don’t, you can pretty much bet, we will be unenthused about any meal idea for supper. And then suddenly, it will be 4:00 and we’re starving with no plans. This can also be a problem if I haven’t grocery shopped for the week. And that happens quite often lately with our busy schedule.
But being famished helps when going to the grocery store. I always come home with lots of goodies. However, sometimes that’s not so good on the bank account. I spend way too much money when I’m hungry…but we have a lot of good stuff to eat.
And when I’m starving, I love good, hearty food. This Sausage & Black Eyed Pea Chili is just that! It’s filled with so much goodness! It’s a perfect Sunday dinner idea, but because it is quick and easy, you can pretty much make it any day of the week. Normally, black-eyed peas are a side dish to rice and gravy in our home, but we pretty much all love them…with the exception of our picky eater. So I welcome the idea of using them up in other dishes too.
But I think my favorite part of this dish is the breakfast sausage. I love it, and it’s fun to use in dishes that aren’t breakfast! Plus you can pretty much bet if I put it in a dip, we will devour it! So why not put it in our dinner!
Hope you enjoy it!
More Chili Recipes to try and love!
Black Eyed Pea & Sausage Chili
- 1 lb. ground beef 7% fat
- 1 lb. ground breakfast sausage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can black-eyed peas
- 1 15 oz. can corn drained
- 1 14.5 oz. can beef broth
- 1 1/4 tsp creole seasoning
- Optional: Serve with Fritos saltine crackers, or cornbread
- Brown beef and sausage. After about 5 minutes of browning, add onions, peppers, and garlic. Season with 3/4 tsp creole seasoning. Brown until vegetables are soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and remaining 1/2 tsp creole seasoning. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium to simmer for about 30 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with Fritos, saltine crackers, or cornbread.
Connect with Jaren:
Other recipes you might like: