Sausage & Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole ~ Delicious Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Hash Browns, Cheese and a Homemade Gravy! The BEST Breakfast Casserole Ever!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Check out our online Home Decor & Clothing Boutique Drops of Sunshine!
Did you have a good Labor Day weekend? I know we sure did. It was our last summer weekend at our cabin and I’m am thoroughly and utterly depressed that we are done with summer per say. It was our first summer with the cabin and we sure enjoyed it and used it as much as possible. I think hubby and I got the most use out of it for sure as my mom kept telling me she felt like she was visiting “my cabin” when she would come up!
In between soaking up the rays on the pontoon, playing with Miss K and reading I found time to make some food. Actually the best part of planning the weekend was coming up with what I was going to make up there. It gave me a chance to try out some recipes on a bigger crowd of people. Obviously I wasn’t going to slave over a hot stove while the lake was calling my name so quick and easy was the main goal!
This breakfast casserole has a homemade gravy that takes a bit of extra time but it is so worth it you guys! This is hands down the best breakfast casserole I’ve ever made!
This breakfast treat is super easy and you can make it up the night before and then just pop it into the oven the next morning. We were usually up with Miss K first so I just put it in the oven and it was ready when every one got going that morning.
I love this breakfast bake because I am not a fan of the ones with bread and ham. Of course if ham is your thing then by all means substitute ham for the sausage or bacon for that matter! If you have company coming or are looking for a treat for a holiday or weekend this is calling your name!
Sausage & Cheese Hash Brown Breakfast Bake
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 c. medium onion, diced
- 1/2 c. flour
- 3 c. milk
- 2 tsp Frank’s Hot Sauce
- 4 c. Colby Jack Cheese, divided
- 4 c. frozen Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed (12 ounces)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- In a large skillet brown the ground sausage and onion over medium heat, until cooked through, drain.
- Add the flour to the sausage and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for a minute or two until thickened, make sure to scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the Frank’s hot sauce and 2 cups of the cheese. Stir until melted and set aside to cool for about 5 minutes. Add the hash browns, beaten eggs, salt and pepper. If your skillet is not big enough to add in the hash browns and eggs, transfer to a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9 x 13? Pyrex dish. Top with the remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
You can also prep this casserole the night before and refrigerate overnight. Add an additional 15 minutes to cooking time if you do this!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 664kcal Calories from fat 411|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 46g||71%|
|Saturated Fat 20g||100%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Recipe from: Sunflower Supper Club