These classic Scotcharoos are our FAVORITE no-bake treat! This is the recipe that my Mom made for us growing up and it is the BEST Scotcheroos recipe ever. I don’t say that lightly as I have sampled a lot of these bars over the years. The rice krispies base has the perfect amount of ooey gooey goodness which makes the bar, plus it’s topped with a butterscotch and chocolate frosting that balance this treat out nicely. Once you try this recipe you’ll ditch your old recipe. There’s a reason it’s been passed down for generations.
Who can blame a gal, right?
Crunchy, sweet and delicious it’s just a satisfying flavor combination! Sooo…. because I know you love them so much, now I’m serving up these super tasty Rice Krispie scotcheroos!
Creamy peanut butter, crunchy Rice Krispies and topped with chocolate and butterscotch? Yes, there will be a new love in your life! ?
Ok.. well maybe that’s a little too much, but I’m saying you’re going to be enjoying these bars!!
What do I need to make Scotcharoos Recipe
- light corn syrup
- creamy peanut butter
- Rice Krispies
- butterscotch chips
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
How long do Scotcheroos last?
Well not long at my house! Seriously though, they will last up to three days.
Can you freeze Scotcharoos?
Absolutely! If you are not going to eat them right away, divvy them up in the appropriate amounts. Wrap well in tin foil or plastic. Add to a ziplock bag and tuck in the freezer. Well sealed they will last up to six months in the freezer.
How many cups are in a 12 oz. box of Rice Krispies?
A twelve-ounce box will be about ten cups of cereal. It will only take one box of cereal to make one batch of scotcharoos.
While researching this recipe I came across a very interesting question.
Is it Scotcharoos or Scotcheroos?
I’ve always thought it was Scotcheroos, but apparently half of you spell it Scotcharoos!
I’m not sure how to settle this debate ?
How to make Chocolate Scotcharoos
- Coat the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until melted.
- Add the peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Pour the cereal in a large mixing bowl.
- wl. Add peanut butter mixture; stir until thoroughly coated. Press onto bottom of the pan.
- Microwave the butterscotch and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture.
- Refrigerate until topping is firm. Slice into bars.
More of my favorite dessert bars to try!
- Salted Nut Roll Bar
- The BEST Rice Krispie Treats
- Knock You Naked Bars
- Caramel Oatmeal Bars
- Banana Nut Bars with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Nutter Butter Rice Krispie Bars Recipe
- Banana Bars
Don’t forget, comment below and let me know how much you love this treat!
If you post a picture on Instagram and be sure to tag me so I can see it too! I’m loving all of your delicious foodie pics! You can find me at @julieseatsandtreats or just #julieseatsandtreats. If you hashtag me, I’ll get to see it that way too!
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 ¼ c. light corn syrup
- 1 c. creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 c. Rice Krispies
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Do not bring to a boil. Add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Put cereal in a large mixing bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; stir until thoroughly coated. Press onto bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Microwave butterscotch morsels and semi-sweet chocolate chips in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is firm. Cut into bars.