These classic Scotcheroos are our FAVORITE no-bake treat! The Rice Krispie base has the perfect amount of ooey gooey goodness which makes the bar, plus it’s topped with a butterscotch and chocolate frosting that balance this treat out nicely. Once you try this recipe you’ll ditch your old recipe. There’s a reason it’s been passed down for generations.
Who can blame a gal, right?
Crunchy, sweet and delicious it’s just a satisfying flavor combination! Sooo…. because I know you love them so much, now I’m serving up these super tasty Rice Krispie Scotcheroos!
Creamy peanut butter, crunchy Rice Krispies and topped with chocolate and butterscotch? Yes, there will be a new love in your life!
Ok.. well maybe that’s a little too much, but I’m saying you’re going to be enjoying these bars!!
Why this Recipe Works:
- Uses pantry staples so it’s easy to keep the ingredients on hand whenever you need a quick batch of bars or sweet treat!
- No Bake dessert that you don’t have to turn the oven on to make.
- So quick and easy to make. They are ready from start to finish in 15 minutes.
Ingredients Needed for Scotcheroos
- Granulated White Sugar
- Light corn syrup – This gives the bars that ooey, gooey texture they are famous for.
- Creamy peanut butter – Want to add a crunch? Substitute chunky peanut butter. Do not use a natural peanut butter, grab the regular peanut butter.
- Vanilla – Adds the perfect depth of flavor in the bars.
- Rice Krispies – You can also use corn flakes, but that type of bar is usually called Special K Bars.
- Butterscotch chips – You can also use all chocolate chips, but we love the hint of butterscotch flavor. It’s the “scotch” in the scotcharoos!
- Chocolate chips – I always use semi-sweet, but milk chocolate would also work.
Steps to Prepare
- Prep – Coat the baking dish with cooking spray.
- Make Syrup – Combine sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until melted. Add the peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Mix – Pour the cereal in a large mixing bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; stir until thoroughly coated. Press onto bottom of the pan.
- Frosting – Microwave the butterscotch and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at 10 to 15-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture.
- Cool – Refrigerate until topping is firm or let sit at room temperature until frosting is set. Slice into bars.
Can I microwave the corn syrup and sugar?
Yes! Simply add it to a microwave safe bowl and microwave it in 30 second increments, stirring after each time until sugar is dissolved. Then follow the next steps in the recipe.
We recommend storing these in an airtight container at room temperature.
They will last up to three days and are best enjoyed the same day in my opinion.
If you are not going to eat them right away, divvy them up in the appropriate amounts. Wrap well in tin foil or plastic. Add to a ziplock bag and tuck in the freezer. Well sealed they will last up to six months in the freezer.
Why are my Scotcheroos hard?
The biggest causes of this is letting the corn syrup mixture come to a boil. Make sure when you are heating this and dissolving the sugar that it doesn’t not boil. This will cause it to be hard when it cools. If you see signs of it boil just remove from heat to let it cool a bit.
Another reason is adding to many Rice Krispies to the bar mixture.
How many cups are in a 12 oz. box of Rice Krispies?
A twelve-ounce box will be about ten cups of cereal. It will only take one box of cereal to make one batch of scotcharoos, but if you grab a bigger box this makes it easy to measure out the Rice Kripsies.
While researching this recipe I came across a very interesting question.
Is it Scotcharoos or Scotcheroos?
I’ve always thought it was Scotcheroos, but apparently half of you spell it Scotcharoos!
I’m not sure how to settle this debate ?
More of my favorite dessert bars to try!
- Love the famous candy bars then make these homemade Salted Nut Roll Bars!
- Leveled up with pockets of marshmallows these are The BEST Rice Krispie Treats.
- Knock You Naked Bars pretty much say it all. Chewy chocolate chips bars stuffed with a caramel inside.
- Chewy, oatmeal bars with chocolate chips and caramel make these Caramel Oatmeal Bars a hit.
- You can’t beat these traditional Banana Bars with a tender, moist banana bar topped with delicious cream cheese frosting.
Don’t forget, comment below and let me know how much you love this treat!
If you post a picture on Instagram and be sure to tag me so I can see it too! I’m loving all of your delicious foodie pics! You can find me at @julieseatsandtreats or just #julieseatsandtreats. If you hashtag me, I’ll get to see it that way too!
- 1 c. white sugar
- 1 ¼ c. light corn syrup
- 1 c. creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 6 c. Rice Krispies
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Do not bring to a boil. Add peanut butter and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Put cereal in a large mixing bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; stir until thoroughly coated. Press onto bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Microwave butterscotch morsels and semi-sweet chocolate chips in large, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. Morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until smooth. Spread over cereal mixture.
- Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes or until topping is firm. Cut into bars.