This Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup is creamy, rich with flavor and perfect for spring! Throw it in the Crock Pot and it will be waiting for you when you are ready to eat!
Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter HERE so you never miss a new recipe!
Hi there! I’m Jessica and I blog at Jessica in the Kitchen, where I share healthy, delicious vegetarian recipes.
Spring is here! What’s a more perfect way to celebrate than with a fresh tomato soup? Lately, most of my meal prep has been focused on preparing meals that are quick or very easy to make, so I thought that this would be a perfect time to share this meal with you. This recipe is one of my favorites that I’ve adapted from BBC Good Food and it is the embodiment of the perfect tomato soup. I grow tomatoes in my garden and so tomato soup is a must all year round, especially from now all the way to September.
Surprisingly, I always make this soup for the first time for the year in March, right in the prime of rainy season when all you want to do is cuddle up with a good book and some delicious soup. This soup, will not disappoint you if that is your wish. It is creamy, filled with flavor, and very satisfying. Ever since I was a child I haven’t been able to have tomato soup without a grilled cheese sandwich and I would highly that you do the same!
I’ve made this recipe many times regularly, but recently converted it into a slow cooker recipe, and let me tell you, the difference is extraordinary. A soup that was easily classed as delicious has been a hands down favorite! Slow cooking this recipe means richer notes of flavor on every count, and you can step away while everything is coming together beautifully. The only part that takes a bit of time (only 10 minutes) is cooking the main seasonings before hand which I recommend because it really helps their flavors to mellow with that of the tomato. I love to use an immersion blender at the end because it seems to be the perfect touch for smoothness of this soup.
I hope you try this out! Relax, have a sip, and enjoy the Spring!
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced finely
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh ripe tomatoes, halved
- 1 litre or 4 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar/coconut sugar/sucanat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- handful fresh basil, shredded
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes until soft and transfer to slow cooker.
- To the crockpot add all the other ingredients and stir. Cook for 2-3 hours on low.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend for about 1 minute until smooth, or if you have an immersion blender (produces much smoother results) blend until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Top with additional basil and optional shredded cheese and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 469kcal Calories from fat 261|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 29g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||52%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|