Delicious Homemade Southwestern Breakfast Sandwiches layered with cheese, bacon, an over easy egg, pico de gallo, and guacamole! This breakfast sandwich recipe will soon be your favorite!
Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Welcome to the ultimate most breakfast sandwich recipe ever. Ever. It has layers of bacon, cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo, an over easy egg and it’s all smashed between toasted bread. It will leave your life feeling complete. You’ll never make another breakfast sandwich recipe again!
I don’t make breakfast sandwiches very often, but after making this one it could become a regular rotation on my menu. I think it would even be a great supper recipe because it’s so filling.
Those flavors are epic.
They all come together and it’s like you went to heaven when you bit into this southwestern breakfast sandwich!
When I tested this recipe my Mom happened to be over, well actually I begged her to come over because I had the kiddos at home. She agreed, because she’s awesome like that. I had slated a full day of recipe testing and didn’t plan on having the kids at home. Funny how things change though right? With kids I’ve learned to assume that no plan will go unchanged. You just have to roll with the punches.
Roll we did.
The day was full of giggles, taste testing and playing. It was so much fun to hear the kids giggling with grandma in the next room while I tested recipes. They’d pop in and grab a spoon and help me stir, soon tire of that and bop off to play again.
Oh, and Mom snuck in doing dishes in between entertaining the kiddos. Life cannot be better than that!
My Mom was a little hesitant on the ingredients I had pulled for this recipe sandwich.
You see, we come from western Minnesota, these flavors aren’t so normal on the farm!
Avocado Breakfast Sandwich
I rolled my eyes as she raised her eyebrows at me. Just trust me Mom, just trust me.
I went to work frying bacon and eggs and assembling these delicious breakfast sandwiches.
I’ll tell you one thing her eyes did light up at. This Sara Lee® Artesano™ Golden Wheat Bread.
It’s so thick! Plus, it has a mouthwatering soft texture and rich flavor. The touch of honey, olive oil and sea salt makes it amazing! Plus, I love that it has no high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors.
I can feel good about feeding my family it!
Trust me, our regular old bread has just lost its spot in my cupboard. After tasting this I’m never going back!
In fact my Mom exclaimed, “What is this bread?? It’s amazing!” when she tried my sandwich!
Don’t worry she not only liked the bread, she also loved that breakfast sandwich. She may have turned her nose up at my southwestern take on a breakfast sandwich, but after one bite she was singing it praises.
She must have liked that guacamole and pico de gallo on top of the over easy egg, melty cheese and bacon!
I’m really not sure how you can’t!
Guess who else showed up just as they were being served? My Dad. It’s funny how my phone rings ten minutes before lunch when he knows I’m recipe testing!
He’s a little bit more adventurous when it comes to his taste buds. His eyes lit up at the sight of my breakfast sandwiches and he devoured one!
Tips on Making Southwestern Breakfast Sandwiches!
- I prefer my egg over easy, but you can make it any way you want! To get the perfect over easy egg make sure you pan is hot, then crack your egg into the pan. Turn to medium heat and cover pan with lid. Cook until egg is set. That’s it!
- In a hurry? Grab microwaveable bacon so you don’t have to spend frying it. Don’t turn up your nose! It’s delicious!
- To save even more time grab pre-made pico de gallo and guacamole from the grocery store.
Southwestern Breakfast Sandwiches
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook 3-4 minutes, until brown and crispy, flipping once. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess grease. Reserve 1 Tbsp grease in skillet.
- With the skillet still on medium high, add eggs to the skillet. Cover pan with lid and cook until set, but yolk is still runny. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Place a slice of cheese over each egg when they are almost done. Set aside.
- While eggs are cooking butter bread on each side. After removing eggs from skillet place bread in skillet. When it is golden brown flip it over and toast on other side. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches lay 4 pieces of bread on work surface. Spread with guacamole then pico de gallo. Top with bacon, cheesy egg and another slice of bread.
- Serve immediately.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sara Lee Bread. The opinions and text are all mine.