Grab the tortilla chips, salsa and a Spicy Margarita this summer. This drink is easy to make in a cocktail shaker and is perfect for happy hour, Cinco de Mayo and summer entertaining. It’s the perfect blend of tequila, triple sec, fresh lime juice, agave and jalapenos.
Is it happy hour yet? Because you are going to want to make a batch of these spicy margaritas! A little sweet, a little sour with a kick of heat – this jalapeno margarita is cold, easy to drink, and goes perfectly with chips, salsa, and guacamole. The good news? You don’t have to leave your house – this is a really easy drink to make at home!
This is a delicious summer drink because it’s served ice cold. Serve it with appetizers for happy hour or with your favorite Mexican-style dinners like tacos and enchiladas. Whatever you serve it with I know it will be a hit!
What is a Spicy Margarita?
It’s like a traditional margarita but with a jalapeno twist! Fresh jalapeno slices are added to the shaker so when you shake up the drink they flavor it and give it a spicy kick.
We love to make margaritas during the summer and this spicy one is one of our favorites. So, if you love a little heat you’re going to want to give it try.
Here’s what you need to make it:
- Good quality tequila – The best tequila to use in a margarita is a clear (or silver) one so pick your favorite! Since there’s not a lot of ingredients in the drink a high-quality one is best.
- Triple sec
- Fresh lime juice – Skip the bottled lime juice and squeeze a fresh lime, it will make all the difference.
- Sliced fresh jalapeno
- Agave nectar – You can substitute simple syrup to sweeten the drink instead.
How to Make It!
- Fill the shaker halfway with ice and add the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, jalapeno, and agave nectar.
- Secure the lid and shake the shaker for 30 seconds or until the outside is chilled. Strain the drink into cocktail glasses fill with ice and serve!
- We love a margarita served on the rocks and using a cocktail shaker makes the drink ice cold – it’s the perfect summer cocktail!
Serve these Appetizers with Spicy Margaritas!
- Make some dips like pico de gallo, tortilla pinwheels or layered taco dip! They are perfect with the cold drinks.
- We love some crunchy snacks like taco chex mix or ranch pretzels!
- You can’t go wrong with a 7-layer dip or my cheesy corn dip!
More Cocktail Recipes
Want more easy cocktail recipes? Here are some more we love to make:
- If you like margaritas you have to try a Paloma which is another tequila-based drink popular in Mexico!
- An Aperol Spritz is a refreshing summer cocktail that you only need three ingredients to make!
- We love to make Mojitos on a hot summer night – the combination of rum, mint, and lime juice is always a hit!
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to comment and rate it below, I definitely want to hear from you!
And if you’re like me and snap photos be sure to tag me on Instagram @julieseatsandtreats or #julieseatsandtreats that way I’m sure to see your pictures, cheers!!!
- 3 oz. good quality tequila
- 2 oz. triple sec
- 1 lime – juiced
- 6-8 jalapeno slices or more if you want it extra hot
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- Margarita salt optional
- limes for salt rim and garnish
- Prepare two cocktail glasses by running a lime around the rims and then dipping rim into a margarita salt, set aside.
- In a cocktail mixer, fill halfway with ice and tequila, triple sec, juice from 1 lime, jalapeno slices, and agave nectar.
- Shake for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until the outside of the shaker is chilled.
- Strain the drink evenly between the two prepared glasses.
- Top with fresh jalapeno slices and lime.
- The best tequila to use in a margarita is a clear (or silver) one so pick your favorite! Since there’s not a lot of ingredients in the drink a high-quality one is best.
- Skip the bottled lime juice and squeeze a fresh lime, it will make all the difference.
- You can substitute simple syrup to sweeten the drink instead of agave.