Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells are creamy, cheese and such a quick family dinner!
While I completely enjoy meals that are clean-eating, every once in a while we all want some comfort food. Pasta would definitely be my comfort food of choice, especially pasta that involves cheese! This pasta dish was a perfect way to incorporate vegetables, being spinach, with cheese and marinara sauce to create a quick, soft, easy and creamy dinner.
Perhaps my favorite part about this dish was that although I stuffed the shells with marinara sauce, they were also based in marinara sauce also. This made sure that both the inside and outside of the shells were deliciously flavorful, soft and full of extra sauce – and who doesn’t love extra sauce? This pasta would go great with a protein dish, a salad and garlic breadsticks.
Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells
- 20 jumbo pasta shells about 8 oz pasta
- 3 ½ cups chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese melted for 10 seconds in the microwave
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the spinach, garlic, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté for a few minutes until wilted down and the spinach seems shrunken down in size. Allow to cool and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup of the mozzarella, feta, and remaining ground black pepper and salt together, and the spinach mixture. Set aside.
- In the baking dish, Pour ¾ cup of marinara sauce to cover the bottom.
- Fill each shell with about 1 ½ tablespoons of the spinach cheese mixture, then arrange the shells on top of the sauce side by side until packed together.
- Add remaining sauce in between or over shells, and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes until cheese is bubbling. If they start to brown, cover with foil until finished. Enjoy!
Italian-Style Stuffed French Toast – stuffed with ricotta, spinach and slathered with marinara sauce for an amazing breakfast for dinner meal!